MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, ok im going to try and explain this as best i can so be gentle. im trying to undo the pulley on my sohc honda engined 1.6 coupe that has to come off from under neath the car. in the haynes manual it states that if you put the break on and put it into gear the pulley will tighten allowing you to remove the bolt, however, mine still spins!!! ive tried it jacked up in gear with breaks on the road with breaks and in gear but it will not come undone as the pulley just keeps spinning! this cant be good, please some one help! thanks. J.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Put the car in 5th gear. Apply the brakes VERY firmly then heave on the bolt using a blooming long breaker bar. If the pulley still spins without the car actually moving then chances are the clutch is slipping. If you are still stuck an air impact wrench is the fastest way of removing them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some CraZy ppl use their starter motor! You won't catch me doing it :) There are some threads discussing it on this site somewhere

G

·
On the T series engines, the electric impact guns that you can get at Halfords/Argos do the trick.

My 10 quid Argos gun gives 230lbft of torque and spins them out easily. However, the Honda engines are tougher to shift.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure what method you are using to try and remove the bolt but if its with socket and ratchet/breaker bar then only use the size extention between bar and socket as you can get away with, best is to use no extention if you can get the socket on the bolt, due to loss in torque delivered to the bolt head when extentions are used because they absorb the movement as the metal flex's, in the past i have had pulleys turning because i had long extentions so i could get access to the bolt from inside the wheel arch but when i removed the extentions and just connected the socket to the bar it worked and the bolt came undone with much more ease.

try it out, what you got to lose.

Garry

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone! i have tried and tried but its no good, im towing it to the garage to have it shocked off and then back to my house for more cambelt goodness.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The clutch will slip if enough force is applied, I would lock the flywheel up using the biggest screwdriver I could find and/or make a tool (its in all the haynes manuals.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Apply brakes, put in 5th never worked in any cars i ve worked. A breaker bar will still turn the crank enough to run out of space (between the ground and body of the car). In the K series you can remove the starter and/or the flywheel cover from the front side and jam a LARGE flat screwdriver in the flywheel teeth. This will provide the counteract force to undo the crank bolt. Not sure in the Honda if it's the same setup.

Of course if you have an impact gun it's an easier tale.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
honda engine, take out starter (its under dizzy) insert a locking tool, and then get a breaker bar and a scaffold pole slid onto it, should undo it then :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts