1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, Sorry for the long post..

This is driving me mad.
I have a 2001 75 CDT Con SE, with the warm/hot starting problem
Starts cold 1st time, but run it for a while, jump out, get back in and it turns over and over. Its been doing it for a week or so but got worse today and left me stranded outside a shop for 10 mins until it eventually started.

I've read all the posts about it most likely being the cam sensor, i've taken it out and had a look, but its not , much to look at really and not servicable.

I dont suppose you fine people know how to test it or better still, have one lying around i could borrow and buy ?

Hopefully someone can help

Sorry for the long post

Steve

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
How much do these things cost? surely not an arm and a leg why not just go buy another one at least that gets it out of the way and if the problem continues you have one less area to look at?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam sensor

Just for anyone who's interested's info.
Just ordered a Cam sensor from rimmer bro's NSC100891 for diesel engine
£53
Hopefully that cures my warm starting probs

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Fingers crossed, keep us posted, and if it does not work put the other one on Ebay use the word "Rare" you should get your money back going by the feeding frenzy on rover bits on Ebay currently :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
Fingers crossed, keep us posted, and if it does not work put the other one on Ebay use the word "Rare" you should get your money back going by the feeding frenzy on rover bits on Ebay currently :)

I might put myself up for auction in that case!

Roverron

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I said 'Rare' not 'Ron'!
Dunno about up there in the frozen wastes but we have got plenty of Rons around here already

What you ought to do is try flogging water to them down South

I keep thinking of putting my Pond on Ebay (buyer collects of course) and I will supply a bucket if required :)

Electric fence is to keep my dogs out btw and the thing in the centre is an old picnic table on floats which the ducks love to sit on

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
I said 'Rare' not 'Ron'!
Dunno about up there in the frozen wastes but we have got plenty of Rons around here already

What you ought to do is try flooging water to them down South

I keep thinking or putting my Pond on Ebay (buyer collects of course) and I will supply a bucket if required :)

Electric fence is to keep my dogs out btw and the thing in the centre is an old picnic table on floats which the ducks love to sit on
Look nice.

I wish I had bought shares in a water butt manufacturer, apparently they're going like hot cakes on Ebay...

R

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam Sensor

Hi guys,
Just to keep u informed, i got the new cam sensor on saturday morning, fitted it and left the car running for 10 mins or so to let it warm up. Turned off the engine, waited a minute or two and low and behold, it just turned and turned but didnt start, so it wasnt the cam sensor.. I'm at a loss now and looks like im going to have to take it to a rover dealer, unless anyone can give me another suggestion.

Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
stevereid said:
Hi guys,
Just to keep u informed, i got the new cam sensor on saturday morning, fitted it and left the car running for 10 mins or so to let it warm up. Turned off the engine, waited a minute or two and low and behold, it just turned and turned but didnt start, so it wasnt the cam sensor.. I'm at a loss now and looks like im going to have to take it to a rover dealer, unless anyone can give me another suggestion.

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for a great thread.
My car has exactly the same problem and have only last week had the fuel pump and number one fuel injector replaced with no improvement.

I was about to try the cam sensor and I am wondering now if it is really worth it.

My car has been to an ex Rover dealer and they diagnosed 'spilling back through number one injector'. This has now been replaced and the fault is still there.

I am relying on a spray of 'easy start' into the air intake to get my car going at the moment.

Let me know if you manage to sort your problem.

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Autofocus said:
Steve,

Thanks for a great thread.
My car has exactly the same problem and have only last week had the fuel pump and number one fuel injector replaced with no improvement.

I was about to try the cam sensor and I am wondering now if it is really worth it.

My car has been to an ex Rover dealer and they diagnosed 'spilling back through number one injector'. This has now been replaced and the fault is still there.

I am relying on a spray of 'easy start' into the air intake to get my car going at the moment.

Let me know if you manage to sort your problem.

Regards

Tim
That only leaves the crankshaft sensor!

It is strange that it runs okay once its started with easy start. This would tend to rule out the crank sensor in your case, but maybe not in Steve's.

Ron

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Can I suggest that you both try unplugging the fuel rail pressure sensor and cleaning the contacts, or even removing it and checking the orifice.

You could also try leaving it unplugged and see if the engine starts.

Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rover_ron said:
Can I suggest that you both try unplugging the fuel rail pressure sensor and cleaning the contacts, or even removing it and checking the orifice.

You could also try leaving it unplugged and see if the engine starts.

Ron
Ron,

Sorry for being a complete novice mechanic, put could you tell me where this is and how to do it.

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Autofocus said:
Ron,

Sorry for being a complete novice mechanic, put could you tell me where this is and how to do it.

Regards

Tim
Its below the arrow in photo five on my 75 home page here:

http://45zs.info/75Zt/R75home.htm

Just remove the engine cover, and the intake duct to make access easier.

(You don't need to remove the duct completely, just undo the two screws that hold it onto the inlet manifold and then pull it forward against the corrugations so you can detach the end that connects to the air filter housing.)

Its 27mm across the flats if you want to remove it. Don't be surprised if it seems loose - this is not uncommon.

Ron

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cam Sensor

Thanks for the reply ron,

I too a novice to this engine, where is the crank sensor located ?
and sorry to ask a stupid question.. but i cant work out which is photo 5 to locate the fuel rail pressure sensor either ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
stevereid said:
Thanks for the reply ron,

I too a novice to this engine, where is the crank sensor located ?
and sorry to ask a stupid question.. but i cant work out which is photo 5 to locate the fuel rail pressure sensor either ?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Photo 5 is the one with the orange arrow pointing to the approximate location of the sensor.

The cranks sensor is just above the left hand end of the starter motor - 3 wires.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cam Sensor

Cheers ron,

I'll have a look as soon as i can, i really want to avoid a rip off from a rover dealer.
And once this is sorted, i'll be wanting one of your mafam's too.

Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cam Sensor

Some more information,
I've just been out trying to start the car again, trying to see if i can put a pattern to it, before i buy a crank sensor or book it into a dealers.
It seems, when you turn the ignition on, to when the glow plug light is shown, i can hear a buzz coming from the engine, when the buzz is audible, the car starts. If i take the key out of the ignition, wait a second, then turn the ignition on, theres no buzz and the car doesnt start, just turns and turns.. no revs apperaing on the rev counter either..
If i play around, turning it off and on again , the buzz comes back and the car starts..
Even more curious.. could it be an immboliser issue ?
Hope this makes some sense

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Is the Buzz is coming from the low pressure fuel pump next to the battery, if so then that is probably normal it will sometimes run for a few seconds with the ignition on but not always

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cam sensor

Keith,
Yes the buzz is from the fuel pump, if it isnt buizzing the car wont start, if it does buzz when the ignition is on the car does start, does that make sense ?

Is it not meant to activate everytime the ignition is turned on ?
The car has the new cam sensor fitted, is it worth getting a crank sensor ?

1 - 20 of 339 Posts