MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after it cost €500.00 for a new clutch and €350.00 for a timing belt tensioner and water pump I went for a 60 mile drive on Saturday and a noise started from passenger rear wheel. Took off the wheel and found seized caliper and pads worn to the metal. The drivers rear had loads of meat left on the pads, so now I need new rear discs and pads and a new caliper.I already replaced the drivers rear caliper about 4 years ago. I priced the parts at € 150.00 as my son works in J & S Auto in Cork and can get discounts but they dont do all MGF parts. I believe the calipers can be reconditioned with new seals piston etc but it may be best to get a new or recon one anyway.
So these cars can really set you back to keep on the road. The mechanic that did the timing belt said that the timing casing is warped from the heat in the engine bay ( and he wondered if the fan in the engine was working which it is) and will need replacing soon so another job and..........the timing belt has to be taken off with the cam wheels to get this casing on..............Since I bought the F in 2005 I have kept a record of the outlay and on adding up it comes to €14,000 in 15 years including servicing. Is this high??

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well after it cost €500.00 for a new clutch and €350.00 for a timing belt tensioner and water pump I went for a 60 mile drive on Saturday and a noise started from passenger rear wheel. Took off the wheel and found seized caliper and pads worn to the metal. The drivers rear had loads of meat left on the pads, so now I need new rear discs and pads and a new caliper.I already replaced the drivers rear caliper about 4 years ago. I priced the parts at € 150.00 as my son works in J & S Auto in Cork and can get discounts but they dont do all MGF parts. I believe the calipers can be reconditioned with new seals piston etc but it may be best to get a new or recon one anyway.
So these cars can really set you back to keep on the road. The mechanic that did the timing belt said that the timing casing is warped from the heat in the engine bay ( and he wondered if the fan in the engine was working which it is) and will need replacing soon so another job and..........the timing belt has to be taken off with the cam wheels to get this casing on..............Since I bought the F in 2005 I have kept a record of the outlay and on adding up it comes to €14,000 in 15 years including servicing. Is this high??
I bought my Rhonda 620 back in 2004 and I'd guess that it has cost about one-tenth of that to keep it running. It still has years left in it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
How many miles have you done in 15 years?

In my experience older cars which are well-maintained cost money but much less than depreciation on a new car(s) over 15 years.

·
Registered
mg_tf
158 Posts
that does seem high, but as Julian points out, far less than the depreciation on a newer car.

If you have included in that figure things like tyres, clutch, servicing, timing belts, etc. generally these are costs that you would incur with any car that you keep over a long period. If you can do a lot of the work yourself, then you save on garage labour charges, that are generally mist of where the costs are.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I kept a record of my costs over my 5 years of ownership and virtually daily-use. I did 20k in it, which some would say is light, but it went everywhere with me and Im an engineer by trade. Including purchase, it cost me a little over £4k- so id say something is not good your end. Ive not had any major engine issues but did have the h/g done and bets, w/pump (VVC) I actually sold it for £100 more than i paid for it as I don't all that was wrong with it and it wanted for nowt mechanically when it went in July. What needed to be be done was some bodywork as it was looking a little tired .
If you want to know what costs are, own a Range Rover Sport! Lovely cars but as mine was only 5 years old when I bought it from a main Dealer, its cost dearly in servicing in its early days! My wife told me when I bought it- Youre not working on that one! General servicing-£609, Major servicing-£2000, Annual Warantee- £12-1400. It had only 43k on it when I bought it and its only got 71k on it now. This car, which I still own, - cost 3 times the price of my first house...

Th main reason I bought the MGTF was because I paid 'banger money for it and I did all my maintenance myself. It was never off the road for more than a week and that my friend was because i was waiting for new rear calllipers to arrive!

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kept a record of my costs over my 5 years of ownership and virtually daily-use. I did 20k in it, which some would say is light, but it went everywhere with me and Im an engineer by trade. Including purchase, it cost me a little over £4k- so id say something is not good your end. Ive not had any major engine issues but did have the h/g done and bets, w/pump (VVC) I actually sold it for £100 more than i paid for it as I don't all that was wrong with it and it wanted for nowt mechanically when it went in July. What needed to be be done was some bodywork as it was looking a little tired .
If you want to know what costs are, own a Range Rover Sport! Lovely cars but as mine was only 5 years old when I bought it from a main Dealer, its cost dearly in servicing in its early days! My wife told me when I bought it- Youre not working on that one! General servicing-£609, Major servicing-£2000, Annual Warantee- £12-1400. It had only 43k on it when I bought it and its only got 71k on it now. This car, which I still own, - cost 3 times the price of my first house...

Th main reason I bought the MGTF was because I paid 'banger money for it and I did all my maintenance myself. It was never off the road for more than a week and that my friend was because i was waiting for new rear calllipers to arrive!
G thats some money on the Range Rover but they are a fantastic motor. If you look after her she would last you a life time. My F has had 2 HGF one with the poly gasket and one with the MLS. This I could not do myself and with pump & belt it was costing a €1000 a time. I also has poor emissions € 70.00 a go for cats but I do the small things myself, oil filter pads trottle body 52mm. I also had to get a sill done for the MOT someone was on here about this a few days ago. I have a Hyundai I 40 for every day use but the handling of the F with the slow bounce hydrogas suspension makes you smile every time.

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G thats some money on the Range Rover but they are a fantastic motor. If you look after her she would last you a life time. My F has had 2 HGF one with the poly gasket and one with the MLS. This I could not do myself and with pump & belt it was costing a €1000 a time. I also has poor emissions € 70.00 a go for cats but I do the small things myself, oil filter pads trottle body 52mm. I also had to get a sill done for the MOT someone was on here about this a few days ago. I have a Hyundai I 40 for every day use but the handling of the F with the slow bounce hydrogas suspension makes you smile every time.
Well I got new discs & pads from rimmers and my son got a caliper from J&S Autos and put it all together last Sunday. Was reading here about handbrake issues on re-building everything back but glad to say after bleeding then connecting the handbrake to the caliper there was no problems. Have a great handbrake now, shinny new discs. I painted the hub part of the discs in aluminum paint by cutting out a circle in cardboard to cover the pad areas gave it 3 coats. Then the calipers in red from Halfords. would love to know how to post pictures as they look great now but can't show them off😆:unsure:

·
Registered
mg_tf
158 Posts
It should be fairly straight forward now to insert photos. There is an icon in the reply box that allows you to select photos from your phone gallery, alternatively you can take a photo using the camera icon. Hope it works would love to see some photos and well done on sorting the handbrake.

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should be fairly straight forward now to insert photos. There is an icon in the reply box that allows you to select photos from your phone gallery, alternatively you can take a photo using the camera icon. Hope it works would love to see some photos and well done on sorting the handbrake.
Thanks Luke,
Just to try it I enclose a photo will put up the discs and calipers tomorrow.:LOL:

Attachments

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Luke,
Just to try it I enclose a photo will put up the discs and calipers tomorrow.:LOL:
just took a few photos of the finished calipers and discs. The handbrake works a treat and we now have great brakes.;)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts