MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't start a new thread unnecessarily but this just came out in the C4 news- The DTI say they have DOCUMENTARY evidence that the loan is NOT essential to the deal.

What IS going on??

·
Registered
881 Posts
Daniel Ward on there at present, re-stating how much collaboration is already going on between MGR & SAIC in China - even down to 'IT,' so he says.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
podders said:
I wouldn't start a new thread unnecessarily but this just came out in the C4 news- The DTI say they have DOCUMENTARY evidence that the loan is NOT essential to the deal.

What IS going on??
This can only be good news. It means Rover can still go it alone on the deal...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they can't. Not now. Thanks to Government leaks they have no credit. They cannot operate with no credit.

This is it.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
A good interview by Mr Ward, I thought.

More on MGR later on in the CH4 news.

Come on Tone, sort it out!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
podders said:
No they can't. Not now. Thanks to Government leaks they have no credit. They cannot operate with no credit.

This is it.
I wouldn't be so sure, Mr podders :err:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did get the impression he was hiding something.
But equally, he had pretty good answers to all the questions put to him. And he didn't rise to Guru-Murthy's baiting "do you think that the crisis in confidence is due to the government's announcement, then?" - he simply said "At this stage that's not an issue; what matters is that we have a decision."

·
Registered
881 Posts
According to Nick Matthews of Warwick Manufacturing Group on C4 at the moment, SAIC bought "the Longbridge engine plant" along with the technology last summer.
Not sure that's true, unless he knows something we don't. He sounds like that bloke in the "Do Not Smoke" ads, but maybe he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
He knows nothing. He said the same yesterday that Tata wear going to invest in Rover. He is also so two faced it's a disgrace they even had him on.

G

·
What a complete ******** - how does he know that SAIC have bought the plant? They haven't they may have bought the right to manufacture but thats all. He should be shot

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I know a bloke down my local who knows a bloke in manchester who had some connections, these people know some people in eastern europe who will shot him for a bag of turnips or about 27p sounds fair now what did I do with his number?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I still smell a rat.

I wouldn't be suprised if MG-Rover and SAIC are in collusion together to extract money from the British Government.

The timing is just too perfect...

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
Nick Matthews doesn't know his *rse from his elbow as far as MG Rover is concerned. He's made a HUGE number of factually incorrect statements, and thats just today!

First of all he says Powertrain has been sold lock, stock and barrell to SAIC - which is false.

Then he says 3 of MG Rover's 4 core model are 15 years old. Again, he's talking through his *rse - the 75 is 7 years old, the 25 and 45 are both approaching 10 years old, and the MG TF is 9 at the most. Yes, they may use technology derived from older models, but the cars themselves are NOT 15 years old.

·
Registered
mg_zs
358 Posts
haudit23 said:
Nick Matthews doesn't know his *rse from his elbow as far as MG Rover is concerned. He's made a HUGE number of factually incorrect statements, and thats just today!

First of all he says Powertrain has been sold lock, stock and barrell to SAIC - which is false.

Then he says 3 of MG Rover's 4 core model are 15 years old. Again, he's talking through his *rse - the 75 is 7 years old, the 25 and 45 are both approaching 10 years old, and the MG TF is 9 at the most. Yes, they may use technology derived from older models, but the cars themselves are NOT 15 years old.
In which case why dont you tell him? is publically available on the warwick university website...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd suggest keeping any e-mails to him polite and to the point. Otherwise, they'll just get binned or filtered by the spam filter at the Uni.
Right now I'm ashamed to say that I am employed by Warwick University (not in WMG).

I can't believe that such ill-informed sources are interviewed on C4 news. The Cardiff Business School know their onions. Warwick Manufacturing Group clearly either don't or have some conflict of interest.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
What the GOVT is now doing is starting to brief against MGR.

If the loan is not essential to the deal then its a red herring, If SAIC have no intention of signing then without the loan MGR is dead. But as there is no deal or liklihood of a deal this week then there is no loan as the prtecondition is that there is a loan.

I suspect there will be some very heavy anti- Gang of 4 stories in tomorrows press quoting Govt sources.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I hadn't realised that the Chinese car market had started to implode already. I can understand now why SAIC appear to have the jitters, but they could be a dead duck without MGR technology to get them through the highly competitive times ahead.
It would be patronising to think that they don't stand a chance of developing new models on their own, but I really think that they will be shooting themselves in the foot by not making the deal.
I wonder if the powers that be will stand for SAIC cherry picking MGR's juicy bits. Without the loan and some signatures I think the only thing that can save MGR is a certain Chelsea FC owner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts