MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a 1999 75 Connoisseur SE and when I switch the engine off there is a buzzing noise coming from under the bonnet. I have been told that the noise is coming from the airflow indicator/monitor. How do I fix this? also, could a faulty one contribute to poor fuel consumption? Thanks - Rannal

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
How long does the noise last for, a few seconds, minutes? What engine do you have: 1.8, 1.8T, 2.0, 2.5 petrol or 2.0 diesel? Is the air con on or off?

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Could be the headlamp adjuster motors winding down, but that only happens after the lights have been on. Do you have running lights enabled?

TC

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I get this too. It sounds like a CD Changer running though its magazine but only lasts a few seconds. My CDTi ZT has done it for as long as I can remember. Its not the fuel pump as you can hear the two noises at the same time as well as independantly of each other.

Not caused any problems yet and i've hit 95k, 43k of which is by me in the last 12 months

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine also does this,

It reminds me of a the noise a powervalve makes on a two stroke motorcycle when its cycling.

Mark.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine has always done this too.
I mentioned it to the dealership years ago, and they said " Oh they all do it "
I'm used to it now !

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses. I have a 2.5 Connoisseur SE. When a friend was checking the buzzing noise out he disconnected the airflow monitor and the noise stopped. I didn't have my lights on. I was wondering whether the fuel consumption could be affected by the fuel mixture being incorrect due to the meter not operating correctly? Or am I being paranoid!! The car returns around 28/29mpg on a motorway run. Is this normal?

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Thanks for all your responses. I have a 2.5 Connoisseur SE. When a friend was checking the buzzing noise out he disconnected the airflow monitor and the noise stopped. I didn't have my lights on. I was wondering whether the fuel consumption could be affected by the fuel mixture being incorrect due to the meter not operating correctly? Or am I being paranoid!! The car returns around 28/29mpg on a motorway run. Is this normal?
You are being paranoid! The oxygen sensor will be taking care of that during engine running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has always done this too.
I mentioned it to the dealership years ago, and they said " Oh they all do it "
I'm used to it now !

Steve
That was the answer I got too, and if you live in Nottingham, then we're talking two different dealers - so "hopefully" it's true!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just acquired a 1999 75 Connoisseur SE and when I switch the engine off there is a buzzing noise coming from under the bonnet. I have been told that the noise is coming from the airflow indicator/monitor. How do I fix this? also, could a faulty one contribute to poor fuel consumption? Thanks - Rannal
i ,m maybe wrong , but is it not the on board computer shutting down?

·
Registered
55 Posts
the noise you are hearing is probably the air vents opening or closing down. i have exactlt the same about 20 secs after removing the key it buzzes for about 8 secs then all is quiet. was told by our local rover dealer it is a trait of the bmw climate control system. it automatically adjust the air intakes to prevent the car from misting up whilst left unattended. hope this helps

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
192 Posts
If you car is a diesel CDT/CDTi 2.0l then it may have a secondary lift fuel pump under the bonnet next to the battery tray. If this is present make sure it is not making this noise that you hear as it will probably mean that it is on its way out, as a of the in-tank one being dead at the same time.
Sorry to sound alarmist but if this is case then get it sorted under warranty from place of purchase as soon as possible

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Buzzing

If you car is a diesel CDT/CDTi 2.0l then it may have a secondary lift fuel pump under the bonnet next to the battery tray. If this is present make sure it is not making this noise that you hear as it will probably mean that it is on its way out, as a of the in-tank one being dead at the same time.
Sorry to sound alarmist but if this is case then get it sorted under warranty from place of purchase as soon as possible
2.5 so it's not the diesel.
Isn't the mpg figure about right for the V6 ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts