MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a crazy idea ? Recently I've been admiring alot of the F's and was thinking of maybe picking one up if the price is right like. Was thinking it might be an idea to find an early MG F with HGF but good running gear / body, etc... and perhaps doing it as a wee project with my dad, although we will probably kill each other in the process!

Of course the questions are ...

- Have alot of people cottoned onto the fact that you can get a HGF back on the road easily if it's not been cooked ?

- Are all the good ones gone (scrapped by insurance companies ) / how would you find one ?

- Costs Involved ?

So keep your eyes peeled if you see one in Scotland as I'm kinda interested... till you guys tell me I'm nuts!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Is this a crazy idea ? Recently I've been admiring alot of the F's and was thinking of maybe picking one up if the price is right like. Was thinking it might be an idea to find an early MG F with HGF but good running gear / body, etc... and perhaps doing it as a wee project with my dad, although we will probably kill each other in the process!

Of course the questions are ...

- Have alot of people cottoned onto the fact that you can get a HGF back on the road easily if it's not been cooked ?

- Are all the good ones gone (scrapped by insurance companies ) / how would you find one ?

- Costs Involved ?

So keep your eyes peeled if you see one in Scotland as I'm kinda interested... till you guys tell me I'm nuts!

Someone is selling an early MPI 'F' with HGF on the MG BBS now..

They are asking £2k+ for it though which is silly money. would think £1-£1.5K tops is much more realistic....... might be worth an offer!.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Unfortunately people have cottoned on to the fact that an F's can be can bought broken, be repaired and then sold at a profit, which has pushed used prices for even tatty examples right up over the last 6-12 months.
IMO You will struggle to find anything with some MOT and good bodywork for less then £2K these days, even those suffering from HGF.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
I would be concerned as to how far the engine had been cooked before the problem was detected. Having recently bought an F, I did see an advert for one which had HGF and been repaired (a week previous to the car being advertised for sale) so they obviously wanted shot if it quickly!

If one had previous HGF in its history and evidence of a few thousand under its belt since, that would have been fine.

Prior to buying one, I did state, 'I would much rather buy one then get HGF later, at least you know what you are dealing with'.......unfortunately my dream came true!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The MGF listed on the BBS site would be mine, I know I stated that I'm after £2-2.5k for it but am open to negotiation, Obviously trying to get some of my money back on the car, The MG is only just showing signs of HGF, it has a small amount of Mayo on the dip stick and is running very well, I have parked it up to make sure that no further damage happens. I can supply loads of Photo's if anyone is interested or your more than welcome to come and have a look, the car is in east yorkshire. Hope this helps

Ian

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh well... I must stop getting these ideas ! Sadly 2k is more than I can afford however I'll keep a lookout as I have a nack of just finding things when I'm looking for them.

Cheers for the advice...

Alistair.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Saw a Silver V plate MGF on Autotrader in December for £999 with HGF..... was just after I bought my P plate F.... was gutted... they do come up, but not frequently and you have to be quick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts