MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, already have a tf which is great am now thinking of buying a zt me thinks the 1.8 is a bit under powered and never thought my self as a deisel person, i know there is a few pitfalls whith the k series engine and i have to think of the pennys a little so what is the advantages and disadvantages of the 190 over the 1.8t and viser verser any buying advice would be appreciated thanks

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
The 190 goes like something of a shovel, has a superb V6 Growl and is v. reliable.

Nuff said ;)

hth

Mike

ps it can also drink fuel but hey it's worth it!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
patch said:
hi all, already have a tf which is great am now thinking of buying a zt me thinks the 1.8 is a bit under powered and never thought my self as a deisel person, i know there is a few pitfalls whith the k series engine and i have to think of the pennys a little so what is the advantages and disadvantages of the 190 over the 1.8t and viser verser any buying advice would be appreciated thanks
My ZT-T 190 is fabulous, very pleased with it. I hope to keep it for a good few years yet, but would replace it with a newer one sometime in the future.

I'm sure you'll love it...whichever ZT you buy.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
patch said:
How much actual driving would you be doing in it? The 260 has probably depreciated more in price as a percentage than any other model, so you can now pick up a car that was £36k no more than £18k, and in my case, under £13k for an 03 plate with under 25k miles on it.

Needless to say, fuel costs can be high, but if you're not doing vast mileage this might not be too big a problem, and the other costs shouldn't really be much higher (if at all) than the smaller engined models. The engine is a very unstressed Ford lump, so unlikely to go wrong, and easy to get parts if it does. Although you need to change the oil every 5k miles, the engine's first really major service isn't until something huge like 150k miles!!!

The car is, of course, and absolute riot of fun to drive!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would not consider a 1.8 / 1.8T over a chipped diesel. Same power as a 1.8T more torque and better fuel economy. About the same performance 0-60 but with much better in gear perfiormance too, oh and no head gasket failure. Don't be too quick to dismiss the diesel - it might suprise you!

If this wasn't enough then i would go for the 190.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Of course fuel consumption is all relative! I get 28-34 out of my 190+ ZT-T and there is lots of room for LPG tank (77litres will fit in wheel well). The sound is worth the extra cost!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Really depends what you require. The diesel may not be first away from the lights, but is more than fast enough on the cruise. It's economical and smooth and quiet for a diesel. 40s mpg is nice to have for a big car.

I am now sold on diesels (this is my first) and do not think I would go back to petrol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys realy appreciate it funny enough a mate at work has just bought a zt deisel and loves it going to take me out in it at the weekend so will keep you posted this forum is a gem cheers

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
patch said:
thanks for the input guys realy appreciate it funny enough a mate at work has just bought a zt deisel and loves it going to take me out in it at the weekend so will keep you posted this forum is a gem cheers
Just remember the standard diesel is NOTHING like the chiped version!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi again just what is entailed in chipping is it just one of rover rons boxes or do you need other parts to get the 135 to 160

·
Registered
152 Posts
patch said:
Probably not what you're looking for, but I will be selling an '02 ZT V6 160+ in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
patch said:
hi again just what is entailed in chipping is it just one of rover rons boxes or do you need other parts to get the 135 to 160
You have two choices

1) A plug in box of which Rover Ron's is by far the best. Takes 15 mins maximum to fit and costs £120 - 150.

2) A ECU remap. The ECU has a new program installed which makes the car perform better. Expect to pay about £300 £320

Both of these will take the diesel up to about 155 - 165 BHP with no other parts needed. The 0-60 time comes down to about 8.6 seconds (about the same as the 1.8T) but with huge amounts of torque for overtaking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi Ti ritch, thanks for that now thinking of a deisel never had one before any tips on what to look for when buying.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No dont worry about old mans ZT / 75 got for a ZS mk2 you wont regret it in 2.5 V6 form ......

Download the inquisitor ESQ

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
patch said:
hi Ti ritch, thanks for that now thinking of a deisel never had one before any tips on what to look for when buying.
Just drive one and make sure it pulls well below 2000rpm - if not then the MAF has gone which can be replaced for about £100. Then do an upgrade via Ron's box or a remap and you laughing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts