MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, considering a Zt saloon,sorry if this has all been asked before.What models would you recommend ?, budgeting around £10,000, mpg not a big issue,considering a 190.Assume parts etc availiability all ok,if so what outlets do the parts come from as obviously all MG Rover garages now vanished where i live.Only thing mechanical wise i have heard is the 120 is a bit underpowered and the 1.8 engine had issues,please shoot me down in flames if i'm wrong on that.Think i prefered the look of the pre facelift model with the larger spoiler but had a look around and hopefully £10,000 should buy me a 2004-2005 model which i assume would have to be the facelift model.Have read good reliability reports.Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
mg_zt
388 Posts
The 190 has a different character to other ZTs. This is due to the different gearing giving a sharper throttle response. Also the larger front brakes are also a step up from other versions.

The Mark 2 (facelift) is more refined than the original version and seems to have a slightly softer suspension set up.

Appearance is a matter of taste - personally I just prefer the original.

I guess the best buys would be a mark 2 190SE (which has all the toys inc TV Sat Nav) or a highly specced mark 1 190. Unless you like a really hard ride, avoid cars with the sports suspension option (which was standard on early cars) as it is just too hard.

For 10k you will get a really nice car!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the swift reply, i would like the ride not to be too harsh as the wife would be the main driver it will be replacing her sri vectra(sorry) had it 6 years from new,been ultra reliable but time to change. The other car we have is a slightly modified Cougar V6 running on 225-35-18's and every cats eye seems to shake your fillings out!! so interesting that the mark 2 has a softer ride.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,
I joined the enlightened this week too with a ZT-T 190+. There are a few dealers still around see: http://www.75andztclub.com/dealer_uk.htm for a full list. Parts are supplied by 'Xpart' which had been sold to Caterpilar before MG Rover went into administration and I'm assured parts aren't a problem. Basically you have BMW quality with Ford parts & service costs (apart from Cambelt change!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
being of frugal inclination I'd forget any dealers. You can get a good 53 / 54 for £8.5 k if you try hard. I went for a 51 160+ 12 months ago - boight it from 'within the trade' and it now has 30k on the clock - suspension is sporty / hardish but handling is superb for a front drive car. Tyres last about 20k and hurt the wallet so factor these in to your comparisons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still looking unsure now of a Zt or go the comfort route of the 75.Had a look at a few the weekend but unsure of the new model still, like the more aggresive look of the earlier ZT's.Looked at a cdti 75 SE at a garage on an 05 plate with 8,000 on the clock and was amazed at the flaking rust on the brakes and even worse the wheel nuts look like they were from a 30 year old car,made the alloys look terrible.Left well alone and thought was over priced at £11,000.Am in no hurry so will wait for right car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, the centers of the discs ad the wheel bolts are not that well protected, but easily rectified. I've used smooth hammerite on the disc hubs and have spray painted the wheel bolts.

Good luck with your search............

·
Registered
mg_zt
307 Posts
I have a ZT190+ (2002). I can easilly get 30MPG even driving on hte 12 mile drive to work and it does not seem to have cost me much so far!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to look at a ZT cdti 135 at weekend,unsure really about the cdti route,currently drive a Vectra Sri 2.0(140bhp).Question is would i be dissapointed power wise or would i be best go for a 190 or something.Just that 40-50 mpg sounds appealing and read about Rons box that can get the cdti up to around 150bhp.Car we are going to see is on a 52 plate with 49,000 mile up for £7999 MGZT cdti+ in black.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have an "04" ZT-T 1.8T which I bought about 6 months ago. It was 18 months old, 9K on the clock and I got it for £10,400. I was looking at Vectra estates and a comparable one 2.0L Turbo SRi were around £12k - £13k. It's now 2 years old and still only has 14K on the clock. Drive superb and fuel economy is good. About the same as my old "51" Vectra 1.8 SXi Hatchback. I am very happy with it and would recommend one to anybody.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CNorman said:
I have a ZT190+ (2002). I can easilly get 30MPG even driving on hte 12 mile drive to work and it does not seem to have cost me much so far!

How on earth do you get 30MPG. I am only achieving 24/25MPG in my ZT-T 190 (2004). I do not consider myself a 'boy racer' and like to drive as smoothly as possible. Having said this it is difficult to resist temptation.....!!! Is there really that much difference between the saloon and the tourer?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If mpg really, truly isn't an issue, then there is only one way to go....

260, 260, 260, 260!!

I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago, and haven't stopped grinning since. Absolutely stunning! Sit in one, blip the throttle a few times, and any silly practical reservations you might have would melt away before you even put it in gear for a test drive :D

You wouldn't necessarily have to stretch the budget much either. Mine was £12,700 - on the one hand a very, very early (in fact I've just been told the actual car used for type homologation by MGR) car, but on the other hand from a main dealer with their mark-up to consider.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Strummerd said:
Going to look at a ZT cdti 135 at weekend,unsure really about the cdti route,currently drive a Vectra Sri 2.0(140bhp).Question is would i be dissapointed power wise quote]

No, not once Ron's box is fitted or the car is remapped. Once done the car will perform about the same as the Vectra 140SRi in the 0-60 stakes and be much faster in mid range performance were it counts.

Where are you based - sure you could blag a ride in a modded CDTi

·
Registered
mg_zt
307 Posts
Monte Carlo re: 30MPG.

I have a trip computer on mine which states 30MPG, i assume that this is right.

I drive for approximatly 12 miles each day and really it is a long B road so i tend to take two approaches, if i am stuck behind someone at 50-60 i sit their and try not to accelerate hard and watch what is going on ahaead then i get 30MPG.

If it is empty i tend to speed up to the 60-70 MPH (not racing about though)and then the fuel does drop slighty below but i still get 26-27MPG.

From my experience you need to keep the revs below 3500RPM at which point i can feel a mini surge of power as the VIS units come on. Below that i find 30MPG is easy to achieve.

Basingstoke to Weymouth i once achieved 38MPG!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your input guys,i live near Evesham,worc's.Looks a nice motor on eBay but not interested in an estate,well i wouldn't mind (golf clubs/fishing tackle etc) but the wife is main driver and she hates estate cars, also the 260 does sound nice but i also have a modified Cougar V6 for playing in :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi,

I'm getting just over 30, now that she has a few more miles on the clock. Also now that the weather has picked up im seeing around 32 on the computer which works out to be more like 30/31 from tank filling.

If you can find an SE get it or if you have the cash get the 260 :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm thrilled with my ZT-T 190+....it cost me £7495 from a dealer with 21,000 on the clock. Great spec and rare colour....quite often gets heads turning from BMW drivers. :eek:)

Nice to have something different!

Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts