MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I;m a newbie in this forum so I thought I should say hello before I start trying to pick your brains. I appreciate people pop up from time to time and use and abuse other users knowledge and then just go so my apologies if it looks like i'm doing the same. I have joined the forum and am trying very hard to buy a 160 tf but don't know much about the car. If I get one I will be back and if there is anything I can usefully do to help others in the future I will

Anyway, pre emptive apology out of the way, here's my tale.

I have just test driven an 02 160tf convertible. I managed to stop myself buying it on the spot and once I got back to my own car and wiped the silly grin off my face logic reasserted itself and a few questions came to mind. If any of you can help with the following I would be most pleased:

The gearbox was hard to get into third, is this normal or should the box be slick

The brakes had no travel and were very sharp, I'm not complaining but is this usual as well

The throttle pedal seemed to be quite firm and needed a good hard press, nothing tragic but more than I'm used to. Is it cable or fly by wire, can it be adjusted

Can you get a Haynes manual or similar

Are parts available since Rover went skint, build quality didn't seem brilliant

It is supposed to have air con, how can you tell if it has. It just had a hot to cold twist knob, no obvious air con on off switch

Ball park figures on values for 40k miles example slightly in need of TLC

Thanks

ps if there's a sticky about this and iv'e missed it, don't beat me up, just tell me where to look.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Breaks (pads) could be new i suppose, a TF'er can clear that up for us.
Haynes manual wouldnt cover the VVC engine in the 160, but that thing (the VVC mech itself anyway) isnt going to be something you would service yourself just on a 2 page haynes summary!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,474 Posts
Gearbox may need topping up with oil, the gear change isn’t the slickest in ever

The throttle cables my need lubricating.

There is no Haynes manual but you may be able to get hold of a legal version of the workshop manual on CD from the MG Owners Club

Some body panels are said to be problem but otherwise Xpart supply everything as if nothing had happened.

If it has air con then there will be two switches next to the rear fog light switch

For value who knows there all over the place at the moment, but this time of year will always be a bad time to buy.

Also make sure that the cambelt service has been done or you get a reasonable amount off at the 4th service could cost around £500+

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris T said:
For value who knows there all over the place at the moment, but this time of year will always be a bad time to buy.
Don't let it stop him from buying it though! I'm sure they will appreciate the investment come summer!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
pickles said:
Hi I;m a newbie in this forum so I thought I should say hello before I start trying to pick your brains. I appreciate people pop up from time to time and use and abuse other users knowledge and then just go so my apologies if it looks like i'm doing the same. I have joined the forum and am trying very hard to buy a 160 tf but don't know much about the car. If I get one I will be back and if there is anything I can usefully do to help others in the future I will

Anyway, pre emptive apology out of the way, here's my tale.

I have just test driven an 02 160tf convertible. I managed to stop myself buying it on the spot and once I got back to my own car and wiped the silly grin off my face logic reasserted itself and a few questions came to mind. If any of you can help with the following I would be most pleased:

The gearbox was hard to get into third, is this normal or should the box be slick

The brakes had no travel and were very sharp, I'm not complaining but is this usual as well

The throttle pedal seemed to be quite firm and needed a good hard press, nothing tragic but more than I'm used to. Is it cable or fly by wire, can it be adjusted

Can you get a Haynes manual or similar

Are parts available since Rover went skint, build quality didn't seem brilliant

It is supposed to have air con, how can you tell if it has. It just had a hot to cold twist knob, no obvious air con on off switch

Ball park figures on values for 40k miles example slightly in need of TLC

Thanks

ps if there's a sticky about this and iv'e missed it, don't beat me up, just tell me where to look.
1, As said gearbox is not the `slickest` change (but can be improved upon) so would not worry to much, the PGI gearbox itself is pretty bulletproof and its rare for the internals to give problems.............. My 160 is a little stiff into 2nd for eg..

2, Sounds like you have found one with good brakes ;) , most people say the opposite!!...... the 160 has AP racing calipers (red) on the front as standard so is a `little` better than a normal TF

3, As said above, but could be normal resistance!!........try another TF to see if any difference in `feel`..

4, As said above re:- Rave CD

5, Again as said above.

6, I have just changed my F for a TF160 in the last few months....... I paid less than £6K for mine but it did need some minor cosmetic`s,
I would say around £7K (private) with adjustments for mileage, condition, spec etc!!.. (IIRC there are 2 people selling 160s on this board).

7, As Chris says check if its had the BIG cambelt service as an 02 car will be due around now (4 years or 60K miles WHICHEVER comes first)..
Also check history for any HGF repairs??, if not check for Any signs of cross contamination of fluids or overheating probs!!.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts