MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

New to MG and about to buy a project to get ronning for my daughter.

The MGF is 2001 with 8000km and 2000 euro asking.

No rust, good condition, motor solid.

I cant test drive the car to check transmission as the suspension in so low the front tires as resting in the wheel arches and showing negative camber.

Is this nornal when the hydrolic suspesion is shot and too low?

or they known for another front end issue?

Does it drop so far as to do that when empty?

Its the only thing stopping me from making an offfer as all else checks out.

I am in Germany and no advice here, i have had an restored Jaguars and Austin Healys but this in a system I am not familar with.

Thanks for advice,

David

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,321 Posts
It does sound like the Hydragas suspension needs to be pumped up, it is possible that there is damage but it is hard to say until you can get under the car or even pump the suspension up.

I will move this question into the MGF area as it is a technical question.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
If all four corners are down/low, it is most likely that the pressure has just gradually dropped on both sides. This can happen slowly over time - perhaps over a few months, but up to a couple of years!

In case you didn’t know, the front and back spheres are connected on both sides, so each side is pumped up separately.

Good luck!

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,971 Posts
As already mentioned, the suspension may just need pumping up, however the suspension spheres may also need re-gassing as the nitrogen is lost overtime. No-one makes new spheres but there are a number of people who do re-gas them both in the UK and EU so if you do purchase the F there are options to refurbish the suspension in the future. One thing it is unlikely to be a 75LE as the thread title states, The 75th was a limited edition of 2000 cars but was released in 1999 and at the time were very popular so would be unlikely to have sat in a showroom for two years to be 2001 registered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one.....Yes you right about the LE... the German reg is incorrect...I checked the VIN.

Question: Where the car is located there is no shop with the Hydo pump in the area and no one to make house calls...too remote.

All the shops on Berlin that have one will not loan them out either.

Makes no sense to order one one of the UK just to check the car...(brexit import duties make 200 quid ++ not worth it right now)

Anyone memeber in Berlin Brandenburg area have one perhaps to loan out for a fee?

thanks DDAy

·
Registered
6,393 Posts

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
36 Posts
Hallo DDAy,

Ich habe die von Ian verlinkte Pumpe und sie funktioniert - perfekt für eine regelmäßige Druckauffrischung oder Höhenkorrektur. Sie funktioniert auch für eine komplette Neubefüllung, allerdings braucht es ungefähr 1000 Pumphübe pro Seite für die komplette Neubefüllung.
An Deiner Stelle würde ich die Kugeln auf jeden Fall gegen überholte austauschen, denn normalerweise ist der Stickstoff ausgetreten und ohne den nominellen Gasdruck ist die Federung sehr holprig und die Straßenlage fast gefährlich. Ich habe meine im Austausch bei CoWa Carparts in den Niederlanden gekauft. Man muss bedenken, dass man bei diesen ein großes Loch in den vorderen Innenkotflügel bohren muss, damit das Nachfüllventil durchpasst. Abgesehen von dieser Unannehmlichkeit bin ich mit deren Kugeln zufrieden.

I have the pump as linked by Ian and it works - perfect for a regular re-pressurisation or height-correction. It too works for a complete re-fill, though it requires roughly 1000 pumps per side for the re-fill.
If I was you, I'd definately replace the spheres for refurbed ones, as usually the nitrogen has leaked out and without the nominal ga spresure you get a very bumpy ride and bad roadholding. I bought mine in exchange at CoWa carparts in the Netherlands. Bear in mind that with theirs it is necessary to drill a large hole into the front inner wing for the refill valve to go through. Apart from that inconvenience I am happy with their spheres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts