MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
First of all it is said on goverment site that Land Rovers from 1996 are safe in regard to E10. 1996 is year when Land Rover were using k-series engines. Looking from that point, and having in mind that there are several talks with ex. Rover employees which confirm that Rover was ahead of its time in order to implement rubbers, pipes seals which are not effected with E10 in any way, anyone should be safe.

Further we have members here which are using E10 or even E85 in their cars for more then seceral years without any problems. These cars are MG F (1997), Rover cabriolet (1994), Rover 25 (2001), Rover 75 (2001). So we have evidence that there are no problems on this topic.

What I would also like to emphasize is that E5 is in use in MG-Rover cars with k-series engines for a long time now and nothing happens. Change from up to 5% ethanol to up to 10 % ethanol will make no difference in regard to destroying pipes, seals, rubbers in MG-Rover cars. I want to say that MG-Rover cars with k-series engines are safe to use with E10.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think after all the good and sound advice, I'm going to save a few more £k and go to the MGF Centre and buy one of their used cars. Yes, more expensive, but they seem to have no issues with the work they do, and have a good reputation. Thanks to everyone that's chipped in with advice, it might be next year now when I buy one now, but I'll keep up with the forum and learn as much as I can in the meantime. Best wishes to you all.

·
Registered
mg_tf
445 Posts
Richard. 2005 model year cars were the last of the original MG Rover cars made at Longbridge. The cars had glass rear windows, comfort suspension and low coolant alarms.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Richard. 2005 model year cars were the last of the original MG Rover cars made at Longbridge. The cars had glass rear windows, comfort suspension and low coolant alarms.
Brilliant I'l keep looking any clue on the prices they fetch MGBOB? I will naturally look myself :love: .

·
Registered
mg_tf
445 Posts
Richard, with the age of these cars it's not so much age but condition that determines price. My suggestion, although it can be a pain, is to go and look at a few. That way you'll get a feeling for what's good and bad. An older car that's been looked after is better than a younger car that's been neglected.

A quick way to spot a 2005 MY car is 15 inch V spoke wheels, some cars may have had their wheels changed by now so it's not guaranteed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Richard, with the age of these cars it's not so much age but condition that determines price. My suggestion, although it can be a pain, is to go and look at a few. That way you'll get a feeling for what's good and bad. An older car that's been looked after is better than a younger car that's been neglected.

A quick way to spot a 2005 MY car is 15 inch V spoke wheels, some cars may have had their wheels changed by now so it's not guaranteed.
I'll do that Bob, its sound advice. I may go look at the MG centre as suggested, just to see a good one. I like the idea of the 2005 if the suspension is a little better on the old bum now I'm 70. I wonder if attending a rally/meet in my area would give me a good idea Bob. Do we have area meets? I'm in Lincs, but have Leicester and Notts quite close? Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
77 Posts
Richard, I'm pretty sure if you go on the MGOC site can get contact details of local MG clubs, give the secretary a ring/email and ask if many members have TF's. Most have a meeting every month normally a pub, then get a T shirt printed with HELP I WANT TO BUY A MGTF and just turn up.
In my experience car nuts of all persuasions are helpful and will gladly tell you all the cars faults that they have brilliantly fixed (Yep I'm one).

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 2005 MY 160 VVC and it has the same alloys as the previous 160s, the 2005 model year cars had the TF Badge moved to the middle of the the rear, up to this point they were at the side, this should help identify a real 2005 my as opposed to a 2004 that was registered late. 160's tend to be quite rare for sale from my casual browsing so go on condition and not age (mine is officially a 56 plate so one of the very last and even that is 16 years old.)

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,949 Posts
2005 model year cars were the last of the original MG Rover cars made at Longbridge. The cars had glass rear windows, comfort suspension and low coolant alarms.
I've 2006 and a 2005 TF...neither have glass rear screens, but that's because one had a red hood with glass screen so that's gone on my black 75th F and the the 2005 which had a black hood (with glass screen) has gone onto my mulberry 75th F :)

But seriously, there is a likelihood 2005 onwards TF may not have a glass screen as it may be swapped over to an older model like I've done....I will refit a glass screen to my 2005 TF but that's because I've one spare but the 2006 will have to make do with the red hood off my black 75th

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,949 Posts
the 2005 model year cars had the TF Badge moved to the middle of the the rear, up to this point they were at the side,
Probably the best and easiest way to spot a 2005 model onwards...my 2006 and 3005 both have "v spoke" alloys but as I mention in post above about people swapping the hoods, wheels can also be changed for earlier models :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
Probably the best and easiest way to spot a 2005 model onwards...my 2006 and 3005 both have "v spoke" alloys but as I mention in post above about people swapping the hoods, wheels can also be changed for earlier models :)
Does the 3005 model time travel when it gets to 88mph? 🧐

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks guys, so much info. I'm sure there must be someone close to me that would give me a ride and maybe some info? I WILL TAKE THAT ADVICE and contact the MCOG and see. Great you guys are getting back to me, thanks so reassuring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Can anyone just confirm the numbers on the tf models refers to the brake horsepower? Like 160-135-115? please?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I looked at the MGOC site guys and noticed some nice cars for sale (private) at some very good prices, much cheaper than those I've been looking at. I'm half thinking it could be worth taking a punt as the car are graded 1234 to show the quality of them, one and two being VVC. What could be the worst that could happen, head gasket, other bits a grand maybe, they may have had that work done to, some suggest they have?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
In some ways in this case it may be better to buy privately and if they are club member it tends to follow (not always of course) that the car will be better looked after. You will also be able to ask the owner questions about the car and often they will have a file full of receipts and invoices that may get lost at the dealers. Keep any money saved in a just in case account.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In some ways in this case it may be better to buy privately and if they are club member it tends to follow (not always of course) that the car will be better looked after. You will also be able to ask the owner questions about the car and often they will have a file full of receipts and invoices that may get lost at the dealers. Keep any money saved in a just in case account.
Thanks Chris sound good.(y) I'm going to have a sit in one up at the showroom today, just to be 100% sure at 6'1'' I can get in and out, and see about me. I could not get during covid, and this has been my first chance. I'm a big guy but not fat, just a little cuddly as my wife says?:love:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts