MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I could be buying a car tomorrow, its been on the cards for some time. Like everyone I've a ton of questions that should probably wait until I have it. But one concern is the change in petrol and will I be able to fit the car up in the future?

Tomorrow as a complete sucker, what should I ask the dealer and look for please? Any one live near Grantham Lincs an own's a MGTF and knows about them out of interest?

Thanks "馃槀馃槀The sucker"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like to think they're maybe a few little jobs a novice could do on their cars. I'm looking to start simple and work up, how difficult is it to clean the underneath, or should you have that done by a pro? What about a little service, I'm a complete novice but would like to do some work on my own old car? Oil change maybe? Break pads are they difficult? What would a 2002 car need doing, 19 years old? Does the forum have any help pages I could follow doing small stuff?

Thanks all.

Premium Member
Most jobs on these cars can be done by a novice. Id leave the engine alone as theres plenty else to keep you busy. I always wire-brush all the loose rust off suspension arms and pin- then give it a cost of black gloss hammerite. You can easily underseal the car- they are so small that if you do the rear on axle stands, then drop back down and raise the front, finish the part of the underside you dindt reach!
Brake pads are easy. These days you have Youtube, in my days it was asking mates or dad (who was busy himslf maintaining his car!)
Rust is a problem- especially subframes. Brake lines are >20 years old now and will need replacing where rusted.
Just make a list that you are comfortable with and work through it. Theres lots of how toos on here.

• Love
Reactions: Richardhb

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your time here!

Very soon members will come along with answers to help you, but one thing you can be sure of, and that is E10 is not one of things that should worry you at all.

In the Garage
MG TF
Put the registration number into to the online MoT checker, it will give you any advisories at the last MoT.

When was the last time the car was serviced, the cam belt for example should be done every 4 years (perhaps 5 years if the annual milage isn鈥檛 high). There are a lot of TF鈥檚 out there that are very shiny but mechanically neglected.

Although a 02 shouldn鈥檛 have as many electrical issues than later cars check that things like CL and the windows work.

Have a look under the car for more than surface rust, also take a look at the sills for rust.

On a test drive if you can try get the engine up to the red line to check that the VVC system is working as it should.

You will read a lot about the head gasket always going on the K-Series engine, whist there is some truth to it, the issue has been blown out of all proportion. The main thing is to check and keep an eye out on the coolant level and when looking at the car take the dipstick out and check that the oil looks like oil and not coffee.

To that end when looking under the car you will see two pipes running almost the length of the car, ideally these should by now have been replaced by stainless steel items, if not then fact this in to future costs.

In the Garage
MG TF
Do you mean that you are a novice on the TF or cars general?

It is had to say what needs doing to the TF as it may have had a lot of work done to it in the past or perhaps no work at all.

One thing I have noticed on my 02 TF is that a lot of the seals in and around the engine are becoming quite hard due to age. Also the gear selector bush has perished and needs replacing again due to age.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, novice full stop buddy. Thanks, musing on buying, the garage does fit a new cam belt, water pump and head gasket on all its sale cars. I'd guess thats factored in the price, but if it offerers me some security I don't mind really? Also a one year warranty to?

Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
So your thinking of buying a car from Trophy I presume, some people swear by them, some swear at them, I personally have no experience with them as I'm too poor. Look on all the forums as well as this one such as The T bar, MGF register (covers TF's) and the MGOC even if your not a member of MGOC I think you can access the buying guide and model history. Read up on the model history to decide what you would like re soft suspension later cars, hard suspension earlier cars, what engine 1.6, 1.8, VVC, HRW in the soft top there are a lot of choices. Then try to drive as many different ones as you can to help you decide, I did all this then bought one that did not tick a lot of my boxes because it was in VGC with low mileage and condition/ history, it is important unless your an expert (and lucky).
Be warned I've only had mine just over 3 months and already I have an additional strand to my DNA labelled TF, it is in my humble opinion a drivers car and not expensive.
Good Hunting

Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
Hi Richardhb. I think you have done 2 good things already:
1 Joined this forum, I have found it very helpful and reassuring.
2. You have asked a very good question before diving-in and potentially creating problems or unnecessary expense.

I have also recently purchased an 02 reg TF and reckon that PatM's advice is spot-on, and all other comments above are very relevant. I bought from the MGF Centre in Wolverhampton. They replace the pipes carrying water to and from the front-mounted radiator with stainless steel, and also do "Underbody treatment 鈥 3 day coating process including rust blocker" to quote their website.
You say:
Yep, novice full stop buddy. Thanks, musing on buying, the garage does fit a new cam belt, water pump and head gasket on all its sale cars. I'd guess thats factored in the price, but if it offerers me some security I don't mind really? Also a one year warranty to?
That sounds like you have not purchased yet, but still shopping, is that the case? If so, and if you can visit the MGF Centre, worth visiting where you will see at least one car up on a ramp to see what a Good one SHOULD look like. As you can see from the "Cars for sale" bit of there website, they aren't cheap, but as you are, in your own words "novice full stop" if you can afford their prices, they are easily the safest bet if you want to USE your TF, and not just look at it!

As with any older car, lack of rust is crucial and it seems that late-model TFs are more rust prone than F's or early TF's. I would not (and did-not!) buy from anybody who did not respond positively to a request to view the underside of a TF or F they are trying to sell. If you're buying from a dealer, and your comment about 1 year warranty implies that, there is NO valid excuse for refusing to let you see the underside.

If you have already purchased something, removing and cleaning the screenwash is an easy task, I did it and described how-to on this forum. Search under screenwash (or possibly screen-wash) and you should find it.
Best of luck whatever you buy or have bought, and hope we have a bit more summer so we can both enjoy open-top motoring!

Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
Richardhb, just clicked on your post about E10. and read "Grantham Lincs"

If you are thinking of buying from Trophy cars, their website had some nice "very shiny" cars (to use someone WAY more knowledgeable than me's words)
HOWEVER, I sent two emails to them about 2 different cars, using 2 different email addresses. Both asked in different ways to take a look at the undersides of these cars during covid-compliant pre-arranged appointment. I never received a reply to either, and I think we both know why......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Richardhb. I think you have done 2 good things already:
1 Joined this forum, I have found it very helpful and reassuring.
2. You have asked a very good question before diving-in and potentially creating problems or unnecessary expense.

I have also recently purchased an 02 reg TF and reckon that PatM's advice is spot-on, and all other comments above are very relevant. I bought from the MGF Centre in Wolverhampton. They replace the pipes carrying water to and from the front-mounted radiator with stainless steel, and also do "Underbody treatment 鈥 3 day coating process including rust blocker" to quote their website.
You say:

That sounds like you have not purchased yet, but still shopping, is that the case? If so, and if you can visit the MGF Centre, worth visiting where you will see at least one car up on a ramp to see what a Good one SHOULD look like. As you can see from the "Cars for sale" bit of there website, they aren't cheap, but as you are, in your own words "novice full stop" if you can afford their prices, they are easily the safest bet if you want to USE your TF, and not just look at it!

As with any older car, lack of rust is crucial and it seems that late-model TFs are more rust prone than F's or early TF's. I would not (and did-not!) buy from anybody who did not respond positively to a request to view the underside of a TF or F they are trying to sell. If you're buying from a dealer, and your comment about 1 year warranty implies that, there is NO valid excuse for refusing to let you see the underside.

If you have already purchased something, removing and cleaning the screenwash is an easy task, I did it and described how-to on this forum. Search under screenwash (or possibly screen-wash) and you should find it.
Best of luck whatever you buy or have bought, and hope we have a bit more summer so we can both enjoy open-top motoring!
Thats brilliant Jo. Your spot on that would be my dealer as I live in Grantham Lincs. Yes, 100% they are well above book price, but I presumed they did that because the offer all the little bits done, and the warranty. I will get them to put it on a ramp so I can see the underside, you cab see the car on the web-site its the first blue one at 拢5250. Just loved the colour and the cream leather (sad old bugger). I'm a pensioner and on limited means, but not destitute :eek: i can afford to run it and maintain it. Are you worried about the petrol situation for the future, I'm told only the later models can take the new E10 fuel. Its so helpful having such a kindred spirit, what colour is yours? I'd be interested in any news about the people I'm buying from and do you know a better dealer please,? Kind regards Richard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your thinking of buying a car from Trophy I presume, some people swear by them, some swear at them, I personally have no experience with them as I'm too poor. Look on all the forums as well as this one such as The T bar, MGF register (covers TF's) and the MGOC even if your not a member of MGOC I think you can access the buying guide and model history. Read up on the model history to decide what you would like re soft suspension later cars, hard suspension earlier cars, what engine 1.6, 1.8, VVC, HRW in the soft top there are a lot of choices. Then try to drive as many different ones as you can to help you decide, I did all this then bought one that did not tick a lot of my boxes because it was in VGC with low mileage and condition/ history, it is important unless your an expert (and lucky).
Be warned I've only had mine just over 3 months and already I have an additional strand to my DNA labelled TF, it is in my humble opinion a drivers car and not expensive.
Good Hunting
Thanks very interesting, do you know any better dealers who are safe to buy from? I have been doing a little research and the TF is the one I'd like the 160. At 70 I'm not after a sports car as such, and don't really have the time to drive around looking at everything (could be dead in a week:love:) seriously I saw a black on a car park yesterday and my heart was gone, it was old a bit tattered, the roof down and unlocked, but it was my car, I'm sure you know? Thanks again Richard.

Registered
mg_tf
Richard, unless you definitely want a 160 I'd consider other models as well. I had a 2002 160 that Trophy Cars bought from me, I say bought as opposed to sold them, because I advertised it on ebay and they bought it without even seeing the car.

The 160 is a great car if you want performance, as long as you keep the revs up they fly. My wife didn't like it because the suspension was too firm. We've currently got a 2005 MY car that has the comfort pack as standard, it's not as quick as a 160 but it's fast enough and the ride is comparable to a normal car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put the registration number into to the online MoT checker, it will give you any advisories at the last MoT.

When was the last time the car was serviced, the cam belt for example should be done every 4 years (perhaps 5 years if the annual milage isn鈥檛 high). There are a lot of TF鈥檚 out there that are very shiny but mechanically neglected.

Although a 02 shouldn鈥檛 have as many electrical issues than later cars check that things like CL and the windows work.

Have a look under the car for more than surface rust, also take a look at the sills for rust.

On a test drive if you can try get the engine up to the red line to check that the VVC system is working as it should.

You will read a lot about the head gasket always going on the K-Series engine, whist there is some truth to it, the issue has been blown out of all proportion. The main thing is to check and keep an eye out on the coolant level and when looking at the car take the dipstick out and check that the oil looks like oil and not coffee.

To that end when looking under the car you will see two pipes running almost the length of the car, ideally these should by now have been replaced by stainless steel items, if not then fact this in to future costs.
Chris, these long pipes, what are they exhaust?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your time here!

Very soon members will come along with answers to help you, but one thing you can be sure of, and that is E10 is not one of things that should worry you at all.
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on that please Rover? I watched a TV programme that worried me in truth, but as normal the media does love to scare people?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to inform you all I did not buy the car as they were closed on Sunday. Will look tomorrow and have a drive too, I'll also ask to see under the car, and ask about the cam belt. What is a 205 MY please guys?

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on that please Rover? I watched a TV programme that worried me in truth, but as normal the media does love to scare people?
First of all it is said on goverment site that Land Rovers from 1996 are safe in regard to E10. 1996 is year when Land Rover were using k-series engines. Looking from that point, and having in mind that there are several talks with ex. Rover employees which confirm that Rover was ahead of its time in order to implement rubbers, pipes seals which are not effected with E10 in any way, anyone should be safe.

Further we have members here which are using E10 or even E85 in their cars for more then seceral years without any problems. These cars are MG F (1997), Rover cabriolet (1994), Rover 25 (2001), Rover 75 (2001). So we have evidence that there are no problems on this topic.

What I would also like to emphasize is that E5 is in use in MG-Rover cars with k-series engines for a long time now and nothing happens. Change from up to 5% ethanol to up to 10 % ethanol will make no difference in regard to destroying pipes, seals, rubbers in MG-Rover cars. I want to say that MG-Rover cars with k-series engines are safe to use with E10.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts