MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I was wondering how to get those awful plastic bumpers nice, clean, bright and shiny like the rest of the car?

Firstly, can you clay the bumpers like you would the rest of the paintwork? And as you can't use polish and wax on them, is there something else you can use to get them all shiny and pretty?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I recommend autoglym vinyl and rubber care for cleaning the bumper and followed by autoglym bumper black to bring back the color. Autoglym instant snow shine also works a treat for anything plastic to bring a shine. I see no reason not to use clay but i have never used clay at all.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
grey/black plastic bumpers????

if they're faded, carefully heat them back up with a heatgun. This will bring back the colour to the bumper. You can then dress the bumpers with any vinyl protector or trim gel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black plastic bumpers? Good god no. They're body coloured, but they are not metal like the rest of the chassis. I tried to attatch a pic but it ended up so rediculously huge, I don't know how to resize it to fit appropriately!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
in that case treat them just like the rest of the car :)

only thing to watch is when machine polishing, paint tends to be thinner and has a flex additive so the paint doesn't crack when you use the bumpers.

wash/clay/polish and wax, its paint after all :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in that case treat them just like the rest of the car :)

only thing to watch is when machine polishing, paint tends to be thinner and has a flex additive so the paint doesn't crack when you use the bumpers.

wash/clay/polish and wax, its paint after all :)
Ohhh, somebody had me under the impression that you don't polish/wax the bumpers as they are plastic. Cool, so I will need to clay those as well then. Chore.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ohhh, somebody had me under the impression that you don't polish/wax the bumpers as they are plastic. Cool, so I will need to clay those as well then. Chore.
You don't polish or wax the bumpers if they are unpainted plastic. If they are colour coded, then treat them as you would the rest of the car. It is the paint you are washing/protecting, not what's underneath.:)

Rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts