MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at my electric sunroof this morning i noticed that there is a bulge under the rubber that goes around the glass, lifted it slightly and some flakes (looks like rust) fell out. now im wondering is the glass in some sort of metal frame under the rubber? also can i take the rubber off clean the crud out and put it back on? or is it not removable?

many thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
OMG dont go there. I have a 214si (yr98) i have changed the electric sunroof 3 times now. The seal around the glass just comes loose and the metal rusts causing it to leak.

I haven't bought brand new just got 2nd hand ones lol pick em for like a £5 from the scrappy. I noticed yesterday that the seal when i closed it lifted up and the sunroof never shut properly. Just a case of opening it again and closing it lol

Best solution if you carnt be arsed to change it is to silicone the seal to the glass and smooth it down. Stops leaking and all sorts.

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
I've got a very similar problem myself on my ZR at the moment. :(

The rubber seal around the edge on the sunroof is slightly higher one side than they other and consequently when you slide the roof back, it rubs on the roof itself. I've still not found a solution, so any help too would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm on the look out for a replacement glass panel for my missus's 25 for exactly the same reason.

I've just got back from the breakers though at Treeton in Sheffield and they won't split the glass panel from the rest of the sunroof as it 'would leave us with bits we can't sell'. Needless to say they were asking 50 quid!!! Shame as I could see piles of 25's & ZR's!

I'll just have to keep looking out for interesting looking scrappys on my travels in the Leeds area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was doing the same - bulging. Theres a guide in the how to section on how to go about sorting it.

Mine turned out to be lots of rust - removed my seal, cleared out the debris and then applied a rust treatment. Then sealed it with windscreen sealant and put seal back on. So far so good - no bulges now and might last a bit longer before I have to replace it all.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Good plan Jason D, I did this on my ZR almost 2 years ago and it's still fine. Best to catch the rust early though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good plan Jason D, I did this on my ZR almost 2 years ago and it's still fine. Best to catch the rust early though
Fingers crossed for mine then :). My rust was pretty bad in places with shape of metal quite low but seal seems to have gone on okay and not too difficult to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts