MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a bit ago, I somehow buckled my spare wheel well, I dunno quite how it happened but regardless, the spare wheel doesn't sit right anymore, and it's got holes where it's buckled and since then the car has been getting damp, particularly the boot... a lot of condensation inside the car in the mornings etc...

I've attached a pic... any ideas of the best way to fix this?

I don't have any money, so it'll have to be a DIY job...

Attachments

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I'd reckon some DIY panel beating would sort it.

Support the underside of where you are hammering with a block of wood...do small areas at a time...you won't get it back to it's exact original state.

If there are any holes in the metal....remove the paint and underseal and cover the areas with glassfibre, kits are available quite cheaply.

When it's all back near original shape don't forget to primer paint any bare metal on the underside and recoat the area with an underseal paint, do the same in the boot but you could use any colour paint.....hammerite etc..

HTH.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Beat it with a hammer till it is about the right shape. Then either fill any holes with flexible filler if they are small, or if you can weld the holes up or weld a plate over it if they are a bit larger. Don;t forget to paint it well afterwards too to stop it going rusty.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Going over speed bumps too fast mate?!

Don't whack it with a hammer. Use a large hard rubber mallet, they're only cheap and will do the job without damaging the metal even more. Did the job nicely when I had to reshape my wing on the old mondeo after it got caved in or as suggested a good piece of 4x4 should do it.
Chemical metal will fill any holes then just paint over to seal. Remove the rust and cure it first though.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
why is your spare wheel well blue chris??? im assuming this is michelles ZR we're talking about???

just looks to me like someones gone over a bump too fast and the backend has hit the top of it, check underneat for signs of scraping, other option is catching a kerb reversing into a parking spot???

andyway rubber mallet and lots of time may be an idea to try and heat it up to make it easier.

andy

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AndBurG said:
why is your spare wheel well blue chris??? im assuming this is michelles ZR we're talking about???

just looks to me like someones gone over a bump too fast and the backend has hit the top of it, check underneat for signs of scraping, other option is catching a kerb reversing into a parking spot???

andyway rubber mallet and lots of time may be an idea to try and heat it up to make it easier.

andy
That's what Si said!!! No, it's just the light! lol - it's definately my car hehe, I wouldn't be complaining about a spare wheel not fitting if it was michelle's car :p since she doesn't have one

I reckon it might have been a high kerb I backed into while I lived in Manchester... Weird thing was, there was no scraping on my exhaust or anything... just a buckled wheel well...

I will see if I have a rubber mallet, if not i'll have to use a lump hammer and a bit of wood :bigeyes:

Thanks a lot lads :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts