MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With out buying one of those triangular bits, how can i remove the screws that hold on the boot handle?

Unless anyone knows what size and where i can get those triangular bits from.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Skelo said:
With out buying one of those triangular bits, how can i remove the screws that hold on the boot handle?

Unless anyone knows what size and where i can get those triangular bits from.

Cheers
Skelo
Depends which screw you have!
You got the 3 pointed one?

Or you got the 8 sided one with a nipple in the middle?

If you have the first type, you can get a screwdriver, ram it in and turn (as long as the nuts are notrusted, which they usually are. You could also drill it out. Or you could get an allen key, sand it down into a triangle shape and use that (i did that once, was pretty impressive!))

Or you could just buy the correct kit like Ashy has linked to which always come in handy. :rotflmao:

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Buy a cheap small wire snips, one jaw inside the screw and the other on the rim.
Once you get it to turn the first half-turn it will unscrew quite easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
technozen said:
Buy a cheap small wire snips, one jaw inside the screw and the other on the rim.
Once you get it to turn the first half-turn it will unscrew quite easily.
I like the idea mate, especially when it will cost me no money!!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I tried all the above before and it didn't work for me. You can't get a grip on the bolt with anything. You'll likely end up knackering the head, and they do knacker quite easily, then you won't be able to remove it at all. They will be well rusted in. It's so much easier having the right bit and you'll find that the kit comes in handy as you'll need it again for something else if you do most of your own work on the car.
It's only £8 don't be a bodger....

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
technozen said:
Worked for me on the rusty screws of the vi, I suppose it's all in the wrist action!
Guess you have had plenty of practice!!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
technozen said:
Yes, used this on 4 cars so far..... ahem.. wrist action is used for nothing else:naughty:
Don't you think it's about time you bought the right tool then you tight wad...:rotflmao:

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
ashy said:
I tried all the above before and it didn't work for me. You can't get a grip on the bolt with anything. You'll likely end up knackering the head, and they do knacker quite easily, then you won't be able to remove it at all. They will be well rusted in. It's so much easier having the right bit and you'll find that the kit comes in handy as you'll need it again for something else if you do most of your own work on the car.
It's only £8 don't be a bodger....

Gotta agree with this really.
I've removed probably just short of 100 handles!

I've slipped and taken a layer of paint offer before now with the wrong tools (on scrap cars). Why take the risk for less than a tenner i say!

Them screws are the absolute worst for rusting. No idea what they are made from but it's the cheapest stuff!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i bought the maplin kit and snapped all the bits i needed for the handle got 2 screws out though, 2 wont move so i guess its drill time !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts