MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me??, i have brown mayo looking deposits in the tank where i put my water (for the radiator). does this mean my headgasket is going ??. thanx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dip the oil and see if you have the same looking deposits. You probably will have, which I reckon means it is the head gasket gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dipstick is clean..but when i look in the oil filler cap it has gunky sort of ****e in there..... i take it the head gasket has gone and im looking a few hundred quid to fix it ??. :-(

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
If the car has been used for stop start driving or very short runs it's not uncommon to find this. Dont write it off yet, Get a compression test done to make sure.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
If we looked at probability... I would say for defo head gasket.

If the mayo was on the dip or the oil filler cap, then perhaps with short distances yadda yadda....it might not be HGF.......but with it being on your expansion tank cap.. that says oil has got into your cooling system rather then condensation being the culprit with the oil. Short distances etc. would only give mayo, usually on the base of the dip stick, and sometimes around the thread of the filler cap.

While it is inportant to have it checked out with a compression test (Which you can do yourself) If I was a betting man.. I would say without doubt.. Head gasket I'm afraid. Until you have it sorted out, it would be unwise to drive it or risk further....more expensive damage.

Sean

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My SO's old 205 had brown sludge in the header tank, and it didn't have HGF. It did however seriously need it (the coolant) changing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts