MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - wondering if anyone has ever experienced (and fixed) problems with their low coolant alarm system from Brown and Gammons?

I had HG replaced last week and thought that whilst the car was in bits I'd order up a low coolant alarm. Mechanic at the garage fixed it all up, complete with little light for the dashboard etc. However, it appears to be D.O.A.

No flashing light on ignition or buzzy noise. I tested this morning, holding down the float for a few mins...but nothing. So its definitely wired up wrong or sometihng.

Anyway, having not fitted it myself (lazy but was the most time efficient way of doing it) I can't be sure where it might have gone wrong. Can anyone advise the things I ought to check. The problem that will doubtless happen now is that B&G will say their parts are all tested and that is must have been fitted wrong...and the mechanic will blame the parts!

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For info I've talked to Brown & Gammons and they've advised of a test to see if it has been wired incorrectly.

If you switch on the ignition and have no buzz or light (like me) then do the following test.
With ignition still on; put the car into reverse and if this triggers the buzzer and light then it has been wired up the wrong way round. This is because it takes a live feed from the reverse light.

Another 'troubleshoot' is therefore to check your reverse light is still working...if that has fused, then likewise the B&G alarm will not work.

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've part solved the problem now. Chap at the garage hadn't done the earth properly...he put the insulation side down, so the connection wasn't working.

I've now got a nice beepy sound when i turn the ignition....but still no alarm when testing by pushing the float down. Anyone know if the engine actually needs to be running to test this...i've only tested with ignition on. (Can't see why it'd make a difference).

Man, what a load of hassle in my quest for peace of mind!!

·
Registered
mg_tf
362 Posts
You don't need to have your engine running for testing the alarm. I may suggest to get a new sensor from Xpart, as the B&G kit uses the original MG-R sensor (#PCJ000040).

Don't hope to get any help from B&G on this one. As B&G customer service in this case could be resumed to a simple "all our kits are tested and are 100% working", and leaving me on my own with an non working kit, I won't order anything from them again :***:

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
have you pushed the float down and waited for the time delay to operate
this should be approx 10 seconds I think.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
If it is a simple on/off type switch in the tank then you should be able to disconnect the plug and put a multimeter across the contacts. Set the meter to resistance and when you push the float down the switch should change state (open if it was closed, or close if it was open). You will be able to tell this as the meter will go from a high to a low reading, or vice versa depending on switch, but it should change.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
have you pushed the float down and waited for the time delay to operate
this should be approx 10 seconds I think.
Mine actually takes a few seconds longer than this to go off. Doesn't sound much but it feels like ages when you are waiting for the alarm to go off. The delay is so that the alarm doesn't go off when cornering hard and the coolant sloshes to one side.

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have held the float down for 30 secs but no alarm.
So is the sensor just a straight swap of part of the system? Any idea how much ££?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If the sensor is the MG-Rover one (PCJ000040) then it is a simple push fit into the bottom of the tank. It costs £14.56 +VAT from Rimmer Bros, or any X-Part seller.

·
Registered
mg_tf
362 Posts
I may suggest to get a new sensor from Xpart, as the B&G kit uses the original MG-R sensor (#PCJ000040).
As I wrote in my previous post, it's the original MG-R sensor (#PCJ000040).

The one I got from Brown&Gammons was also faulty. They also assured me, that they've been testing every kit before sending them off to the customer. As the original Xpart bag containing the sensor wasn't opened when the kit arrived at my door, I'm still wondering how they could have been testing it ???
:***:

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I need to give a big shout out to Brown & Gammons, who have come up trumps in the end.
I emailed them a couple of times to ask what the problem might be and how to sort it/test it...with no reply, so I was getting a little annoyed.

As luck would have it, I was passing near their place last weekend. I gave them a bell on Thursday and asked if I could drop the TF in for them to take a look and sort the problem. They said this would be okay and on Saturday I pitched up. (Cool place...MGs everywhere).

They isolated the problem (it was indeed the sensor), but testing mine with low coolant (no alarm sounded), hooking up a new kit (that did work), then trying my sensor on the new kit (didn't work) and finally a new sensor on my kit (which now works).

They were really friendly, obviously didn't charge...and I left as a happy customer.
So for anyone else having problems, I'd advise steering clear of the email approach and just give them a call and get yourself to their workshops.

I finally have the peace of mind that the kit is intended to bring. Great.

·
Registered
mg_tf
362 Posts
They were really friendly, obviously didn't charge...and I left as a happy customer.
So for anyone else having problems, I'd advise steering clear of the email approach and just give them a call and get yourself to their workshops.
Which unfortunately, doesn't really help me. It's a bit of a travel from the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg to their workshop.
I'm still waiting for an answer about my faulty sensor, which I sent back to them, as they requested, some months ago.
May be I'll send an email, or phone, them again. Do you mind, if I take your case as an reference?
Even if they would react, for me, their customer service stays poor !!!

·
Registered
mg_tf
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pascal, by all means refer to my situation; but please do so in a positive way (make sure they know I was really pleased with their service - the last thing I want is them regretting ever having helped me...else they might not help others in future).

I think they will concede that the sensors can sometimes be faulty (they don't make them) - and not sure of your exact circumstances but I'd recommend swapping the sensor as the second course of action, after having first checked that the earthing has been done correctly.

·
Registered
mg_tf
15 Posts
Pcj000040

If the sensor is the MG-Rover one (PCJ000040) then it is a simple push fit into the bottom of the tank. It costs £14.56 +VAT from Rimmer Bros, or any X-Part seller.
hi mauricei, my tf had a HGF not long had it fixed, but the coolant sensor warning light keeps coming on, but no sights of leak or drop in coolant.. i suspect the sensor is faulty as i have sprayed loads of WD40 on the sensor...that seem to work for a while then it pops back on.

I have just order a new sensor, is it easy to pull off from the coolant tank? and then just push new one back in?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts