MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem with my passenger window on a 1997 MGF. The whole front of the window has dropped down, causing it to get stuck when trying to move up and down. The electrics still work ok, and after taking the door panel off I can't see anything wrong inside, I did find a white piece of plastic in the door rattling around, don't know whether this might be the problem? I can't see where this fits on the mechanism. The glass won't slide into the guide at the front of the door and when you push it in there by hand and fully raise the window, as soon as you lower the window the front halve just fals down and gets stuck?!

any idas anyone, I've heard that windows breaking are a common problem with F's but after a search on here and a few other sites, I can't seem to find the answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Hi James,

Does the broken bit of plastic look anything like this?

Take a look here. Hopefully should answer your question.

HTH,

Kris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kris, thaks for the picture. The plastic part is more of a u shape, but at right angles, not a curved u. the metal part shown in the picture is in the window though, but loose and rattling around. Can't find anything on that site that helps

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The glass is glued into 2 U shaped bits of plastic which are in turn attached to the window lifter rail. From the sounds of it, either the glass has unstick from the 'U' and is thus no longer attached to the rail or the plastic 'U' has broken off, giving a similar result (the latter sounds most likely in your case as it sounds like you have found the 'U' or bits of it).
I have had the glass come unstuck before and have had to glue it back in using special Araldite for glass (available from DIY stores).
But from the sounds of it its the actual 'U' bit that need replacing on yours, and then the glass will need glueing into it.
I dont know if you can get the U bit on its own though. of if you will have to replace the whole lifter mechanism?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks sharky, I have just found two holes on part of the lifter mechanism that the plastic u shaped clip seems to click into. On the horizontal part of the mechanism shown below (top left).

The problem is still the same, the whole front half of the window seems to be falling down. even when I put it the right position and try to guide it up, by pushing half with my hand, whilst operating the switch, it gets stuck, accompanied by rather loud banging noises.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The 2 black bits on the top of the horizontal arm are what should be holding the glass in place, and level. The black stuff is the mastic used to glue the glass into the U clips. If the glass has become unstuck, it will not stay level when you lower the window and will jam.
You need to put the glass back into the U clips (you may need to remove some of the old mastic) and then glue it back in. I found this quite difficult and there are not many glues around that will stick to glass, hence why I ended up getting something specifically for glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts