MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, i had the pleasure of suffering a broken earth lead.

I discovered the problem while driving the car, the dash lights were flickering, temp gauge went off the scale, no speedo, no rev counter. The electrics went completely dead.

I did not know what it was at the time, (no experience with electrics) called the nice AA man, who came and fixed a broken earth lead.

So, if this happens to you. Check for a broken earth lead.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It's well worth checking the lead before it breaks - mine went with no warning when I was doing 70 or so in lane 3 of the M3. As described above everything in the instrument panel went doolally, as far as I could tell the engine was still running after a fashion but for all I knew I had no rear lights to warn cars behind me. Luckily it was about 08:00 on a Sunday morning and light enough to not need head/tail lights otherwise I dread to think what might have happened.
It was the crimped connector bolted to the front crossmember on the body that went, just snapped clean off on a fold line, looked like it had corroded from underneath until the vibration was just enough for it to let go.

KRs
Chris

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i had known it was the earth lead, i would have fixed it myself.

2hrs waiting for the AA, and spent 10mins fixing the problem!!!

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts