MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,771 Posts
It's there to cut down emissions. Will disabling it mean an MOT failure if it's supposed to be there?

has no effect on emissions as the engine has to be running to do an emissions test ;) , come on gnu wake up hehe .
its just their for fuel economy , if it is ever tested which it shouldnt as its not anything do with the normal safety devices etc ( its very dangerous as it is stop / start , nearly got hit by the same car as mine in front of me on a hill as the stop start had kicked in shut the engine off and when they released the break it rolled back , if i hadnt released my break and rolled back they would have hit me ) , all i have to do is replace the module and it will work again .

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a MOT failure because standard functionality doesn't work. ie if abs is fitted but isn't working you will get a fail, where as a car without abs fitted will pass. However, you answered my question, not safety related so no fail, thank you

I would argue that it is to do with emmisions on a duty cycle, as the engine turns off when not used, so emmisions for an urban journey should be reduced overall.

I agree, stop / start can be annoying, depends how it's set imo. Some switch off almost immediately, others don't.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,771 Posts
to be honest i think it should be banned , as its a safety hazard in itself , a few times in other cars if the engine had not been running i would have been hit by idiots , with no engine u arnt in control of the car even when stopped , you cant move the steering if powered by the engine , u cant set of as quiclly because u have to wait for the engine to start and pick up some revs , so you loose may be 1 or 2 secs which could mean the difference between life and death . but yet again the company over rules the goverment i guess .

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
As I'm into mg-r I've never owned a stop/ start. But I've driven a wide variety whilst working. They can be annoying, but I just learn to override by depressing the clutch our something, if it cuts at the wrong time. I would worry about the life of the starter motors and batteries though. :err:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Andy400, my ZS SUV Auto has stop/start and if I know I am not likely to need the auto stop setting I just press the button to turn it off. However I find the with the system on, I only have to release the brake and the engine start immediately and pulls away in the time it takes to transfer my foot from the brake to the accelerator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting to read this thread. My partner's 2014 MG3 has just broken down with very similar symptoms. Simcor, how much did it cost to repair in the end?

She's already had the stretched timing chain problem (MG paid half ... eventually) and there is an ongoing gearbox problem that has not yet been fully diagnosed but the dealer is saying may cost up to £1000. It's not a car that's endearing itself to me :frown:

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Starter motor with fitting was around £260 from memory.

However I had a breakdown not long after which required a gearbox rebuild and a new clufch.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
rover_45
167 Posts
If the car cuts out with stop start put the gear stick in neutural, press the clutch and the car will restart immediately. If you are approaching a junction put the gear stick in neutural, as you stop apply the handbrake, press the clutch and the car restarts. Hope this helps as i never have a problem with my cars stop start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Starter motor with fitting was around £260 from memory.

However I had a breakdown not long after which required a gearbox rebuild and a new clufch.

Thanks. It's turned out to be a bolt that sheared off the clutch and jammed the flywheel. They've repaired the bolt and put it back together but it still won't start. So now they have to strip it down again to check for damage on the flywheel. :irked:

She had the same thing happen years ago on a ZR. Same bolt perhaps?

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks. It's turned out to be a bolt that sheared off the clutch and jammed the flywheel. They've repaired the bolt and put it back together but it still won't start. So now they have to strip it down again to check for damage on the flywheel. :irked:

She had the same thing happen years ago on a ZR. Same bolt perhaps?
That's exactly what happened to mine after having the starter motor replaced. 2 small bolts sheared off. Jamming the flywheel up. There was play in the input shaft so a rebuilt gearbox and new clutch was required.

Sadly I'm stuck with mine for the time being having spent so much on it, but it's looking like it will be my last MG. Otherwise it would have been gone by now. Though I have very little faith in the car right now.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts