MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
mgf
185 Posts
There is a very easy way to open the bonnet. It involves making a simple tool. Keep my name in your files and if/when yours fails contact me. In the meantime, follow Scarlet Fever post. alternatively, go out to your MG now, raise the bonnet, and look at how the latch is constructed and how it operates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
People don't answer this question on the forum because then thieves know how to get the bonnet open. If you want to know, send me a private message and I'll tell you.
please could you tell me how to open it im at my wits end carnt use the car because i need the bonnet open before i can get it pumped up or would it be easier to join the aa and let them sort it

·
Registered
2 Posts
i actually dont know how to do this... i know the trick to get into the boot heaven forbid you look the keys in!

could someone pm me what to do... just in case mine ever breaks... would be nice to have the knowledge stored away! :)
People don't answer this question on the forum because then thieves know how to get the bonnet open. If you want to know, send me a private message and I'll tell you.
how do i send a private message

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,464 Posts
As a new member, I think you don't have the facility to send private messages until you have reached a minimum post count (I can't recall whether it is 5 posts or 10?).

Once available to you, you need hover your cursor on the user name of the member you wish to contact and click on 'Message' at bottom right of the profile box that pops up.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Or spend 1/2 an hour and take the bumper off (and another 1/2 to put the bumper back on) which is the only way that works (that I have found) if you have aircon. You need to get to the bolts in the jam which is not so easy but possible. I keep nothing of real value in the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a very easy way to open the bonnet. It involves making a simple tool. Keep my name in your files and if/when yours fails contact me. In the meantime, follow Scarlet Fever post. alternatively, go out to your MG now, raise the bonnet, and look at how the latch is constructed and how it operates.
Hi, I have a similar issue with my ‘97 MGF VVC. I tried to PM the request for help but as a new user it’s not letting me. I understand the solution isn’t posted openly so if someone could send me the solution it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you have an aircon, in my experience there is no easy way other than taking off the bumper (you have to get to the 5 (?) bolts in the jam). I have done this twice now and it is a pain in the neck.

The solution is what I did - add a second cable that I can attach to the opening handle in the boot in the event the first cable fails.

PS: It would take a thief at least half an hour to do the above and for what - a used battery and perhaps a spare tyre? I would suggest that anything taking more than 3 minutes is not worth a thief doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have an aircon, in my experience there is no easy way other than taking off the bumper (you have to get to the 5 (?) bolts in the jam). I have done this twice now and it is a pain in the neck.

The solution is what I did - add a second cable that I can attach to the opening handle in the boot in the event the first cable fails.

PS: It would take a thief at least half an hour to do the above and for what - a used battery and perhaps a spare tyre? I would suggest that anything taking more than 3 minutes is not worth a thief doing.
Thanks Julian, no aircon so hopefully within my capabilities 😊. Appreciate the reply. Mark

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,383 Posts
I agree with Julian, if something is gong to take half an hour plus and a set of tools I can’t see an issue in being open about the method, at the moment they are more likely to pinch the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you please tell me how to open the bonnet i am getting really ticked off with it tried all ways to open it no luck. if nobody can give me as answer will put a grinder through it and scrap the car.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts