MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
removin a wire yesterday and pulled really hard n i cant the handle of the dipstick and it snapped off and now i cant get the rest out! what can i do?? i was planning on doin an oil change this weekend cuz i have recently done the hg but i dont no how much oil i need now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
follow the dipstick tube down to where it meets the block. Undo the couple of bolts/screws that hold it in place and remove the tube. You should then have no problem poking/pulling the broken dipstick from the tube.

If the broken piece has dropped all the way down the tube and into the block you're screwed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
badman_liam said:
removin a wire yesterday and pulled really hard n i cant the handle of the dipstick and it snapped off and now i cant get the rest out! what can i do?? i was planning on doin an oil change this weekend cuz i have recently done the hg but i dont no how much oil i need now
Talking some semblance of English would help....:daft:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
If the dipstick has snapped off it may well be in the sump, which you might as well remove as you say your doing an oil change, I have the sump removal procedure for doing this..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
I would try a wire coathanger .........
try putiing a tiny bend and point on the coat hanger wire ...so that it's able to pass down beside the old dipstick and be manipulated ,so that the pointy bit sticks into the old dipstick.........so then you are able to withdraw the wire together with the remains of the dipstick .


all the best........mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
I just thought it was plastic because it broke .......if it were metal it would not have broke perhaps ...just guessing ........that is what we have to do a lot of times ,with people only giving tit-bits of info and the like .


Best ones are .....my car wont start /..........what's wrong ...no make/model given.......
.urgent my radio doesn't work.........
.help urgent .........i want bigger speakers in my new car ..that just happens to have HGF..but not concerned about that.........
.or cant afford to fix hgf .........but have spotted wheels that i like ..and they are only £££££...lol :D :D

all the best...mark
 

·
Never forgotten
Joined
·
16,723 Posts
The first ones were made up from 7 parts in all and were metal. They cost a fortune and failed early!
The plastic one-piece dipstick was the result of the redesign. A bridge too far I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
1955diesel said:
The first ones were made up from 7 parts in all and were metal. They cost a fortune and failed early!
The plastic one-piece dipstick was the result of the redesign. A bridge too far I think.
Nope, later ones had metal dipstick too with plastic end and handle. Much better than the plastic one and the current design you will get if you buy one from a dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
ashy said:
Yes Rover in their ultimate wisdom decided to make the colour of the end similar to the colour of oil...good idea that.:daft:
Why create plastic ones which distort and bend when subjected to high temps.....exactley where they knew they would be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Samuel said:
Why create plastic ones which distort and bend when subjected to high temps.....exactley where they knew they would be?
cant say Ive seen a perfectly brand new dipstick, but doesnt it already have some shaped form to it to corresspond to the shape of the dipstick tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
misterreliable said:
cant say Ive seen a perfectly brand new dipstick, but doesnt it already have some shaped form to it to corresspond to the shape of the dipstick tube?
No, it should be perfectly straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Samuel said:
Why create plastic ones which distort and bend when subjected to high temps.....exactley where they knew they would be?
Agreed, might as well have used chocolate fudge for the use plastic is in a hot ally engine.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top