MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote to FT.com:

"On your article on "SAICs Rover deal on hold", you qoute 'government insiders' and 'one person familiar with the talks'. If you can't identify your sources, it questions the validity of your statements. It reminds me of nursery rhymes "Once upon a time in a land far away". Of course we all know that the British press is rubbish and such vague reference points mean this article seems the same as a nursery rhyme. I say put up or shut up".

Yes it was strong words but the article deserved it. Anyway, they replied promptly which was good but this internal correspondence was included (I've omitted names):

"Hi. Yes it's my article. Presumably we have a standard reply to complaints about use of unattributed sources? [eg only use them where necessary etc etc]"

And the reply to me:

"I'd like to advise you that I've contacted the journalists and would like
to advise you that they do understand you comments and concern, however
they still defend their right to refrain from providing their contact details to the general public. Kind regards,"

I guess I got fobbed off.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Personally I blame the UK Press and Media for the vast majority of the slump in MGR sales over the past 2 years.

From the Phoenix 4 Pension stories to the current scare stories regarding the Joint Venture, the British Press and Media will not be content until the MGR close their doors for the last time allowing the so called 'journalists' to say 'WE TOLD YOU SO' !

However it won't happen, MG Rover won't go away, the Joint Venture will go ahead.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*DLN* said:
Personally I blame the UK Press and Media for the vast majority of the slump in MGR sales over the past 2 years. From the Phoenix 4 Pension stories to the current scare stories regarding the Joint Venture, the British Press and Media will not be content until the MGR close their doors for the last time allowing the so called 'journalists' to say 'WE TOLD YOU SO' !
However it won't happen, MG Rover won't go away, the Joint Venture will go ahead.
I agree but the MGR publicity dept is either unable or not trying to gets its message across. I don't believe the talks are stalled. They may be hoping to get money to sweeten the deal but the bad publicity in the press (see below)could hurt MGR. Get the deal done MGR and shut up your detractors.

I have google news alerts about MGR sent to me every day and it is scary what's going on. Each paper seems to have got hold of the same basic threads about MGR being virtually insolvent, the deal stalled as the mess come to light, the government coming to the rescue to save jobs and one I just read saying all motoring journalists agree that the Phoenix 4 were a mistake and it should have become a small sports car maker instead, that BMW were glad to be shot of it and that basically who would have it? Many of the sources are quoting each other. This website trying to cram every comment into one hideous thread isn't helping.
You cannot have faith in the media, it cannot be trusted when they all gang up on a subject and there is no balanced coverage. If some of the media go one way and some the other, then you get a chance to hear both sides. This is not happening here. A few people are taking over all media and soon the free press and a broad, balanced coverage of events will become a thing of the past. And yet where can people go to get alternative information?

PS. I'm sorry Leigh aren't doing well in Super League DLN. Mind you the attendances are paltry too. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts