MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Yes I saw this on teletext motoring. However what it doesnt show much is that none of these british built cars were built by british derived or owned companies!!! :cus:

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
... erm ... thinks ....

Define .. 'best"...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Yes I saw this on teletext motoring. However what it doesnt show much is that none of these british built cars were built by british derived or owned companies!!! :cus:

Depends what you mean by "derived". "To trace the origin", well Jaguar's origin is British.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
what I meant by british derived was in the cases of jaguar or vauxhall - a significant following in Britain whether it be because of employment or the companies originally being british before taking over, but such companies are now controlled by foreign TNCs/large companies.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
you have a point but totally revamping quality control often takes a good while, even with the most advanced of strategies put forward to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Londonbabe said:
Unless you have a Land Rover it seems.

I thought Ford were sorting out the LR quality? I wish they'd hurry up!
I thought BMW were supposed to be doing that years ago ;)

Actually I find it quite amusing that LR's quality (or lack of it) has remained a rigid part of the LR 'experience' despite the 3 different owners in the last 20 years, and even more amusing that super dooper brilliant BMW couldn't crack it, and neither it seems can the bean counters at Ford!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Lord Minty said:
I thought BMW were supposed to be doing that years ago ;)

Actually I find it quite amusing that LR's quality (or lack of it) has remained a rigid part of the LR 'experience' despite the 3 different owners in the last 20 years, and even more amusing that super dooper brilliant BMW couldn't crack it, and neither it seems can the bean counters at Ford!
Most surveys only cover models between 2003 and last year, I don't think the new LR3 falls under this, so it is probably the old Discovery, which wasn't exactly LR's shining light for build quality...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Was anything Land Rover produced ever a shining light for build quality?

You would have thought that a vehicle launched in 1991 would have had the bugs ironed out of it by 2004. That never appeared to be the case though.

I had a friend who bought one of the very first Discoveries, back in 1991. He had all sorts of problems with it; at one point it had to go back to the garage for one week to have all the faults and recall points sorted out.

He bought various other LR products though - to my knowledge he's had a couple of Range Rovers and a Freeloader, all of which have had problems. He bought one of the last of the old shape Discoveries early in 2005. Guess what: he's had all sorts of problems with it again - he was amazed that the problems he had with the first one were the same problems he had with the last one.

But at the end of the day, he loves his Landies and a few problems never were going to deter him. As he says, he always buys his cars new, so any problems are always fixed under warranty. He's got an excellent relationship with his dealer - which I guess you would if you keep handing over £30-40000to them every couple of years or so, and he enjoys his cars.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Toyota Avensis (my dad has them as company cars) is in the top 10, built at Burnaston, 20 minutes from us on a good day.

Seems a good solid tank, anyway :)

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
boxwellm said:
Was anything Land Rover produced ever a shining light for build quality?

You would have thought that a vehicle launched in 1991 would have had the bugs ironed out of it by 2004. That never appeared to be the case though.

I had a friend who bought one of the very first Discoveries, back in 1991. He had all sorts of problems with it; at one point it had to go back to the garage for one week to have all the faults and recall points sorted out.
The neighbour of a previous work collegue had an early Disco ("H" reg if I recall). Bought it as an ex-demo and drove around all over Europe in it. I last heard about it just before I changed jobs (so 1999 or 2000) when it had it's first failure and a seal went on the clutch slave cylinder. This was with 175,000 miles on the clock. Prior to that it had never needed attention outside dealer servicing. He was well pleased with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts