MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 877 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Land Rover have redesigned the K series 1.8 head gasket and upgraded the lower rail that the head bolts screw into.

The head gasket has lost it's elastomeric beads and now has a laminated type of construction and the lower rail is beefed up - it must have an effect upon the clamping load. Head torque figures remain unchanged.

Picture three shows the very thin metal coated shim that is fitted on top of the headgasket

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
hmm didnt think they used the k anymore, just diesels...

anyway, just using the HG you reckon thats now well worth using, also how easy is it to change this lower rail...

of course my revised design k will never get hgf :eyes:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I thought all Land Rover K's were supplied by PowerTrain, if so why did these changes not make it into MGR cars? Have LR been stripping the engines down and modifying them after delivery? Where are LR sourcing there K engines from now if they're still being used?

Too many questions!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know what's happening supply-wise at the moment, but LR have to look after the owners of Freelanders with the K Series - hence the redesign. Quite who has done the redesign work is beyond me - it must be LR themselves?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well it was said recently (either on here or keith's site) by an ex-employee that PT knew exactly what was needed to stop the head gasket problems, but the P4 weren't interested in spending the money. I wonder if this knowledge has made it over to LR?

This is good news anyway, for TF owners in particular.

Forgot to say, well done Major, a good find!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Major.

Are LR actually building cars with these mods, or is this a bulletin for dealers to implement when a car appears with HGF??

None of these engines left PowerTrain with these mods did they??

If LR are building cars with these mods, they must be rebuilding their engine stock with these mods before letting them onto the line.

1 - 20 of 877 Posts