MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Do you use a breakdown service?

• No, don't need, just ring me dad who brings a can of petrol, jump leads, and tow rope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. After receiving numerous promotional material from these companies, I'm interested in what the general concensus is regarding breakdown services such as the AA, RAC, Green Flag, etc.

Some of them have some low prices (offers of less than £40) which is pretty good especially if you are hundreds of miles from home.

What/who do you guys use and what do you think?

Note: The poll is multiple choice, pick one of the first 4 options then one of the other options if appropriate.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,683 Posts
Get mine on the insurance really. They CAN be very useful though, especially if you don't have it with the insurance as you can end up paying out extortionate amounts of money.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Had it for a while on the Coupe, but never used it.

Obviously the ZS has the Factory issued cover at the moment.

R

·
0 Posts
I use GEM (Guild of Experienced Motorists). The magazine they send every few months is a bit pants (old readership) but the recovery is excellent value for money. I've only used it once but was very impressed.

R

·
0 Posts
I use GEM (Guild of Experienced Motorists). The magazine they send every few months is a bit pants (old readership) but the recovery is excellent value for money. I've only used it once but was very impressed.

http://www.gemrecovery.co.uk/

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I'm with the AA, only used it on a couple of occasions but it's proven worthwhile... It's not with insurance or anything - I was accosted in the street and it seemed like a good deal... £40 or somesuch for the year.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
AA, 40odd quid, only called em out once, thanks goodness i was with them!

Anyone whos not covered is fkin asking for trouble, its 40odd quid, no excuses!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
been with the aa for 2 years now and they are great. they helped **** loads when i had the mini.

but they cost my £139 a year have you guys got the basic deal or something?

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
AA had excellent car removal when they came to remove my car from the entrance of Uni. Then their garage messed my car up big time. So i'm not with them anymore.

My house mate was with greenflag, they wouldn't come to rescue him after a 5th time the car went up the creak. So they're a no go too.

He's now with the RAC and gets a better deal. I'm going to be joining them in January when the family AA cover runs out.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Im only with greenflag because it was a free offer when i took out my insurance..

as for rating them, i cant do that because i have never called them.
when this stupid greenflag runs out, im back to the RAC, but i may give the AA a try, ill just see who offers more for less...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
Used to be in the AA but binned them for several reasons. They sacked a mate of mine and all his tools disappeared mysteriously before he could reclaim them. He took them to tribunal but settled at the last minute for nearly £30k compensation.

Then, the missuss' motor packed up miles from home one freezing day whilst she had my youngest daughter with her. They refused to recognise our membership and left her stranded so I sued, got my membership back and several hundred in hush money.

Been with the RAC ever since. Not perfect, but on the one occasion I used them the were prompt, friendly and knowledgeable.

Avoid these basic £30 or £40 deals that they all do - all you'll get is towed to the nearest main dealer for your make of car (if you're lucky), which doesn't help much if it's 2 am on Sunday morning and you're 200 miles from home...

DD.

PS - I get a nice wedge off too with my 'International Discount Card'. Ahem.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
michaelperrin said:
I saw them undo the glovebox and pull out the laptop, just how neat is that!
Me wants!
That'll be the VIXEN unit, very impresive it is too, and as you say, the way in which it folds away into the glovebox.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Steve220 said:
My house mate was with greenflag, they wouldn't come to rescue him after a 5th time the car went up the creak. So they're a no go too.
They all have that policy. 5 counts and then you pay. RAC included.

Simple thing there is fix the damn thing before it breaks down a fith time.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm with the AA. Had to call them out when the cam followers went on the Ka... Was stuck in a service station on the M1. Called em - they sent me a text message to confirm that they were coming, and advised me to stay in the service station then the patrolman would call me when he arrived to save me waiting in the cold. He arrived, well within the time they gave me and then apologised cos he couldn't bring me home (he was at the end of his shift and they wouldnt allow him to take the job.) They called a recovery unit from York as there was nothing else local, and I got a text to confirm that he was on his way, then he called me to tell me he was outside, again arrived well within the quoted hour.
The only other time I had to call them was when my battery was flat, but I didn't realise I didn't have homestart so they couldnt help. Pay £80 a year for them, am happy and don't see why I should change.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
That text msg thing is a pile of rubbish, i never received one!? even though they said i would!

Oh yeh, tell em you have broken down and holding up traffic, as when i called them from a car park...and obviously wasnt a priority!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts