MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had breakdown cover as part of my insurance with Direct Line to cover the 75, saw on the renewal that the cost was £98, told them to take that off the renewal, I then phoned Green Flag and got a quote for £63, but then the girl on the phone says you have a "renewal coming up sir", I reply "but I have never used Green Flag", she then went on to tell me that "Green Flag is owned by Direct line", so I say "YOURE THE SAME COMPANY and yet through Direct Line I was asked to pay £98 and you can do it for £63", and went on to sy "so if I was to go through Direct Line still would the same van come to me as Green Flag" she said "oh Yes Sir", I told her that was Mad and took the price that Green Flag quoted..Same level of cover.

So in case you have direct line insurnace with Break down cover, go get it much cheaper from Green Flag, it the same bloody Company.

So I now have cover from Green Flag at £35 cheaper than Direct Line, but it is the same policy I had with Direct Line..

Check the small Print thats what i did..

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
It's called drumming up extra profits. ALWAYS check the content of your Motor Insurance Renewal Notice when it arrives particularly if there's a large increase in premium compared to last year and you've not claimed or had motoring convictions. Quite often, the renewal invitation will include a range of 'extras' which boost income and possibly extra commission for any Broker involved. Some of these may be unnecessary.

You may find as I have done on the past three renewal invitations that an expensive recovery cover will also be included. You may already be a member of the AA/RAC etc so have no need to expensively double the cover.

Although I've never had one let me down and leave me by the roadside, as I drive a number of old cars frequently there must come a first time. If ever one of my old cars breaks down and I can't fix it by the roadside, then chances are the AA won't be able to either. Thus, I would prefer a "Recovery to Home" service ONLY. Anyone know if this is offerred by any recovery service.

The reason I ask this is because of the very recent experience of my OH when driving the MG ZS a few weeks back. The ZS was 'rear ended' and my wife felt she did not want to risk driving it. When the AA arrived, she was advised not to do so. Actually I later discovered the car was perfectly drivable with the rear bumper removed. So, forty miles from home, the AA recovery would only 'recover' the car to a garage within a ten mile radius of the breakdown area. Fat lot of good that is on a cold Sunday afternoon in a remote part of Gloucestershire! Actually, to be fair, the AA chap gave my wife contact details of a local recovery service and a couple of hours later, the ZS arrived at our home on a flatbed. This cost 117.50 including VAT which we have fully recovered from the other party who was entirely at fault.

My wife was rather cross about this and will seek alternate or a more realistic and useful 'recovery' service if one exists to suit her and our needs.

Good avice to read ALL the print .... even the larger stuff.

Anyone with advice on "Recovery to Home" service I'll be pleased to have more details.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your car not being driveable after an accident may not qualify for recovery under the 'breakdown' cover. Always best to check exactly what is covered.

I had this problem with the AA. I am with GEM now (for old people)

It's £60 a year for roadside assitance and recovery to anywhere in the UK. I reckon the recovery is the biggest cost to them though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts