MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I m re-furbing mu MGTF Front Break Callipers. Inthe kit I found the following rubber sleeve?

Have not a clue where it goes or what it is for. Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, it looks like the sleeve that goes over the slider bolt that holds the two parts of the calliper together. Should be two if them.

No I have 4 of the slider pin rubber gaiters as indicated. Cannot work out what this small, approx 20mm long and 8mm ID. Have two must be one for each calliper.

·
Registered
mgf
853 Posts
They appear to be the rubbers for the rear callipers they are used to be fitted when you bolt the callipers back on after fitting new pads but for the rear.

·
Registered
rover_600
146 Posts
Hi I m re-furbing mu MGTF Front Break Callipers. Inthe kit I found the following rubber sleeve?

Have not a clue where it goes or what it is for. Can someone enlighten me.
View attachment 136572 View attachment 136573

Thanks
You should have two for each caliper repair kit or 4 for an axle set. they are the dust protector bellows for the slider pins. If you buy an axle set of slider pins you get 4 pins and 4 bellows. Please if you have everything stripped down and are not replacing the pad carriers get the pad carriers shot Blasted, this is the bit everybody forgets about and is the reason for sticky pads and strange wearing of the new discs. I know it is a fiddle to do it right as I have just replaced the Monogram Spices Tourers Brakes, from the ABS pump back to the nipple and I could not source rear pad carriers at a reasonable price so the old ones were shot blasted and reused all the other parts are in the when I get around to it Bin waiting to be fully refurbished and put back on the shelf. My wife asked me yesterday if the box of brake bits was a modern sculptor. Think that was a hint. as always when I do a job like this I end up with sensors not picking up signals and have ABS faults and pad ware faults showing up.
next job will be to check all connections on the sensors and check the new bearings are magnetic, I gave it a quick check when putting it back together and I am sure the front bearings are on the right way round. This is a fault I have seen several garages fall foul of with 75 Front bearings.
Best of luck cleaning everything up remember to check the pad plate clearance as they often need a file job done on them so that they slide freely up and down the pins usually just paint on the pad plate sometimes there is a bit of swarf attached to the edge of the metal backing that needs a touch with a grinder to get rid of it. make sure everything slides freely and there are no sticky bits. Keep up the good work.
alan

·
Registered
rover_600
146 Posts
Hi maybe there are more required for TF. My advice is based on my F. Sorry that I can't be of more help.
OK now I am guessing and trying to remember through the mist of my brain. I have a recollection of seeing this before, but it was something to do with the rear caliper, not the front.
Did the factory original rear units not have a needle roller bearing affair to do with the handbrake. whilst the after market units just had a pin? the quoted size of this part would suggest it would fit over that pin. Could your service kit be for either front or back?
I have taken a look on the microfiche for the front and can't see where it would fit on the front.
This is going to keep me up at night as I don't know and want to know. Did your service kit come with the piston seals and boots? Do you have the make and part number of the service kit? might be able to find it in my old parts catalogues. wish I still had them in Physical form as the copy's I now have are all on PDF but I have most of them so might be able to find it in them.
Sorry cant be of more help
Alan

·
Registered
mg_tf
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK now I am guessing and trying to remember through the mist of my brain. I have a recollection of seeing this before, but it was something to do with the rear caliper, not the front.
Did the factory original rear units not have a needle roller bearing affair to do with the handbrake. whilst the after market units just had a pin? the quoted size of this part would suggest it would fit over that pin. Could your service kit be for either front or back?
I have taken a look on the microfiche for the front and can't see where it would fit on the front.
This is going to keep me up at night as I don't know and want to know. Did your service kit come with the piston seals and boots? Do you have the make and part number of the service kit? might be able to find it in my old parts catalogues. wish I still had them in Physical form as the copy's I now have are all on PDF but I have most of them so might be able to find it in them.
Sorry cant be of more help
Alan
Hi The Callipers are for the front and are reconditioned units. As indcated, came with grease, slider pin rubber gaiters and those small rubber bits! Main piston seals and piston already installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts