MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Picked up my new 06 Rover 75 CDTi today. Its a Classic SE with leather interior and forked alloys in Pearl Black - absolutely gorgeous car. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance. I'll also be spending a few quid with Roverron, of course!

However, I have a small problem. I was originally meant to pickup the car last week, but when I went to pick it up, I noticed the temp guage did not work. Or should I say it did not move at all from cold.

I obviously didn't take the car at the time and waited to have the car repaired. When I picked up the car today, it was warm and the temp guage seemed fine - at the normal "middle" mark.

Unfortunatlely, it seems that Arthur Daley is working in the garage as I have now noticed that the temp guage always shows "normal", even when cold!!

Needless to say I am less than impressed. I'll be making a very irate call first thing in the morning.

In the meantime, anyone have any idea of what may be wrong?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmmm..maybe I was wrong. I just checked the car again after 3 hours and the guage was at about 1/4. I assume it will be at 0 in the morning.

This still doesn't look right to me, though. Can anyone with a CDTi tell me if this is "normal".

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The diesels can take a while to warm up and being a big old iron lump take time to cool down also. Take your car on a good run. It should move from 0 to midway in around ten minutes, dont pootle around, stretch its legs a bit and report back and let us know.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah, as above. Its nothing to worry about. Diesels can take a long time to warm up, and can take an age to warm down especially on hot days like today.

I parked my car 'in the shade' today at 5pm after a run and the temp was at normal...came back to it at 10:15pm and it was still not fully at zero!

I wouldnt worry!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. You've set my mind at ease. Looks like I may have wronged the garage. My only defence is that its my first diesel!!!

I'll report back tomorrow after I drive it again.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Just a thought the gauge is going to zero with the ignition turned off isn't it as it ought to.

Otherwise I agree with the above, the car will hold its Core temp for some time so not unusual for the gauge to rise a bit on switch on and it should once warm be spot on and stay on the centre mark

Do you have a FBH btw?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith Alexander said:
Just a thought the gauge is going to zero with the ignition turned off isn't it as it ought to.
Hi Keith

If you're asking if the needle goes to zero when the ignition is off then, yes, it does. I also tried the diagnostic test for the dash and the needle goes from 0 to max and back again.

MGOracle's description sounds exactly like mine i.e

"I parked my car 'in the shade' today at 5pm after a run and the temp was at normal...came back to it at 10:15pm and it was still not fully at zero"

No FBH.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I drove the car for about 10 minutes this morning. It was completely cold when started, and hadn't warmed full by the time I got to work. Most of the driving was in traffic, though.

So it looks like all is OK. Good job the garage was closed last night when I noticed the guage was still showing hot after a few hours. I would have made a right fool of myself ringing up to complain! :slap:

Anyway, thanks again for all the help/comments. I think it shows (as in the "subscription" thread) how invaluable this site is. Well worth the price of a couple of drinks for a years membership :2c:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts