MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, driving round tonight, bout 40mph, I had difficulty stopping, must have stopped and inch from the car in front (ok she did pull out on me), but it got me thinking bout my brakes. I'm thinking maybe it might be time for a change, my question is how easy is it to change them, is there any adjustment to be made after fitting? Oh and what are the best cheap brakes on the market at the mo?

Also I've noticed when pulling away if I try and get full revs out of first gear it suddenly gives up!! Would de-catting overcome this problem?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
What model is your car?

Although I suppose the universal answer is go for the same spec brakes as the ZR160 if you want the best.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dunno i dont really like mixing the word "cheap" and "brakes" :p in one sentance.

I say, id rather my car stop fast, than go fast and stop slow :p

but yer yout best stopping power for yer lowest cost would be from higher powered Rover/MG car. Good luck.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
if your car is a mk2 214 without ABS and the 238mm solid disk, brakes you need new hubs for any brake upgrade im afriad as the carrier mounting points are different. if its any other it should use 262mm disks vented or solid, easiest upgrade from solids is to get a set of vented calipers and carriers and fit vented disks, wqont make a vast difference but its the same brakes used o na 220 turbo. furher than that its ZR160 converison or a hi-spec big brake kit

andy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got a 218SD mk2

conversion sounds good, sorry for using the words cheap and brakes in the same sentence, it wasn't what i meant, if you know what i mean!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts