MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo, got my car up on my jack and tried turning the front drivers side wheel but the pad is definately rubbing on the disk, I started the engine and pumped the brake a little then let it off and this time I could barely move the wheel at all.. I dunno how the system works but it's like there's no sorta return, nothin pulling the pad away from the disk.. Anyone know what might be causing it?? And how I can get it fixed??

·
Never forgotten
16,720 Posts
The movement will be tiny. Just enough to take up clearance. Brake piston should be free enough that you can pull it back by hand or very gentle pressure with a screwdriver.

If you lever the pads back, remember to press the brake pedal before driving off. The first press will move the pads back to their correct position, but may not stop a moving car!

·
Registered
25,622 Posts
Sounds like your caliper is seized. There is no return spring for the pads so they always slightly catch the disc when you turn the wheel, however the wheel should rotate easily enough. Sounds like the calipers need a good clean to me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't change the pads, a friend of mine did it, he's a mechanic, just waitin for plannin permission to open his garage. I dunno cos I did a run to bristol a few weeks ago and got 42mpg.. That doesn't sound like a car with stickin brake does it?? He didn't bleed the system anyway I dont think...

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeap, then put your friend to refit them with copper grease (back of pad and sides...at the antisqueal shims) and bleed the system (easy if you are in the car pressing the pedal for him). If this doesn't solve it then could be the caliper itself at fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.