MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As its dry today and the weekend looks to be wet Ive awarded myself a saturday on thursday. Main job of the day was swapping my brake hoses for nice shiny new stainless ones.

Ive been pushing plusgas into the joints for a couple of days in prep, but came to undo them and even with a pipe spanner (slotted ring) all of them show no signs of coming undone :(

Im pretty resigned to the fact that they aint coming out by any normal means. So.... what are my options?? Im guessing I have to cut the pipes as close to the union as I can, then replace with new union bolts. Im also guessing however that the pipes will need flaring if I do that?? There is a bit of extra length to play with on the front pipes if I introduce a slight downwards bend, but on the rear there isnt much at all.

Anyone done this? was it a nightmare? Are there other options? Anyone local to me got a pipe flaring tool or am I hunting around on ebay for one?

lots of questions!! (I like to get my moneys worth out of a thread) ;)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Chris,

Go on Ebay and order a bag of those - the total each fitting will be a fraction of the price from Rimmers.

While you are there order yourself a flaring tool as well - probably get a base one (good enough for occasional DIY) delivered for a tenner.

I bought one a year or so ago and did all of mine - easy peasy!!

Good luck

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
cHRIS,

Any flaring kit should be fine to be honest - its all thin wall stuff, irrespective of the material (Copper or SS).

Think mine was a Silverline one from memory - pretty sturdy (and very cheap!).

If/when you get one of the fittings removed tell me how long it is and I will compare it to one in the garage if you are worried - also note how much is pertruding as of course some of it could just be 'spare' thread.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts