MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would i be looking at to get my brake pads replaced? Standard parts - nothing fancy.

Is it an easy job to do yourself baring in mind i have no specific "mechanical" tools..........2nd thoughts probably not the best thing to practice on!!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,299 Posts
Changing the pads on a car is very DIY’able but at the very lest you need spanners and an axel stand.If you haven’t done anything like this before then it’s a good idea to find someone who has to give you a hand.

·
Registered
mgf
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think maybe i should just shell out for someone to do it. ANyone have an idea how much for someone like Kwik-Fit to do it!??:eek:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I would take 30 minutes to change both sides front pads (once I had found the jack, spanners and stands); I'm an IT person not a mechanic but have changed my own brakes for many years.

Rears should not take much longer other than minor addition of hand brake adjustment if needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed.

Replaced the front pads on my wifes' MGF with EBC Street Kevlar items Tuesday evening and even allowing for a thorough clean of the calipers etc the whole job can be completed in 30-45 mins.
The process is so simple it only takes a few brief lines in the workshop manual but like anything, if you don't feel confident then pay someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
JP has just volunteered himself to help me when I get round to doing mine. Can't do it this w/e as I am up in Stoke!

Iain

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
i managed to do it! =D i have no experience at all! lol jsut did it a few days ago actualy. was rewarding to me as ive never done anything like that. one thing i wud say tho. the back spring(if you call it that) it wasn't going back with a g clap i thought it had seezed but it had to be twisted around for it to go back. do you know what i mean? =S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts