MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I hate to disagree but as far as I recall any cars manufactured after whatever date they were compulsory from should not pass an MOT if the 3rd light isn't working. However there's a peculiarity in the law whereby if the light has been removed or deliberately disconnected (i.e. wiring connecton physically removed) then they're not an MOT item at all.

Perhaps a well trained MOT tester can confirm this, but I'm sure that I'm correct (I think I read it on this forum yonks ago, but the thread has been archived/deleted).

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Its usually a pass and advise. They cant fail it because they need to prove if its connected or not which they cant do as they cant take anything apart to check it.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Obertelli said:
I hate to disagree but as far as I recall any cars manufactured after whatever date they were compulsory from should not pass an MOT if the 3rd light isn't working. However there's a peculiarity in the law whereby if the light has been removed or deliberately disconnected (i.e. wiring connecton physically removed) then they're not an MOT item at all.

Perhaps a well trained MOT tester can confirm this, but I'm sure that I'm correct (I think I read it on this forum yonks ago, but the thread has been archived/deleted).
He actually asked if it was legal not would it pass an MOT inspection. You would not get pulled by the police for having a non working high level brake light.
As said, it is at the MOT testers discretion to simply pass and advise if the light fails to work.
There is no law to state that there MUST be a third brake light fitted or indeed actually connected.
If it is connected it is supposed to work, but seeing as the tester has to take the drivers word for it the rule is to pass and advise.

So as asked...is it legal....YES.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts