MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a brake fluid change on my wife's R45 and I'm considering the options:

1. the conventional "pump the pedal" method. One garage told me this could lead to problems with the master cylinder as it takes the piston out of it's normal range of travel

2. pressure devices such as Gunson's Eezibleed. I've used this on other cars but there seems to be a problem getting a good seal with the reservoir on the R45.

3. vacuum devices which draw the fluid out. I've seen suggestions that this is the best way to do it. However, an online search has only revealed devices which appear to rely on a workshop compressed air supply which I don't have

I'd welcome advice on this particularly if you can recommend a vacuum device which doesn't need a compressor.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
there was a guy who put instructions to build such a device on one of the forums here ..

it used a jam jar...aquarium pipes and the manifold vacuum for bleeding.

cant find the post though

all the best.mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Mark - very interesting.

Has anyone else tried this? Also, how would I know which is an appropriate nipple on the inlet manifold on a K-series 1.4?

Peter

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
on my t-series there is a spare that is blanked off .well it was .it now does the gas....think it was there for cruise control ..
basically i think you can use any one, but not the one that goes to the ecu and not the fuel pressure regulator one ....
because may bugger mapping up whist you are doing it, if you use them

if no luck .pull the servo one off .and adapt a bit of pipe to go into that ...just for this job.

all the best.mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any options that don't rely on disconnecting manifold pipes and running the engine?

Peter

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've ordered the VS402 so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all for helping me out on this.

Peter

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I bled my brakes using the pump the pedal method with a mate pumping the pedal while i was at each wheel. Will this be ok or am i gonna have problems? I've done 10,000 miles since and the brakes feel fine. They are a little weak when emergency stopping though but no leaks anywhere.

Markus

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
pumping the pedal; takes both master cylinder and wheel cylinder to extremes of travel where they have never gone before

these extreme ends are usually rusty ...and it can kill the seals or make them have a shorter life when pistons travel over them.

all the best..mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts