MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

my rover 418gsd's barke are basically crap. slight vibration aswell and not very responsive. my mechanic however told me they were still ok, just a tad scorched. From what i remember my dad had them changed a few years ago from a ordinary motor factors shop. I am beginning to think that having cheap brands isnt such a good idea. anyway on enay i have come across unipart gbd830. better still another listing has gbd840 (for mg, but say they fit 418 aswell. price difference is about 20 pounds. U guys know if they will fit and which is the better deal? does it matter having 840's instead of 830??

p.s maybe i dont really know even if i should change them but instad just get some quality pads.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
sounds like you have got them hot and they have distorted a little (vibration under light braking ok when hard?) and if they got that hot the brake fluid wouldnt have liked it much and that may be partly responsible for the poor pedal.

the fluid should be changed every few years anyway, although very few do due to the mess of the vile stuff.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Sounds like they've been cooked, as has been said.

I'm not brave enough to quote brake part numbers on an open forum, too dodgy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmm cant say if it happens if i brake hard ( the vibration). havent had to brake hard lately ( touch wood hahahha). but does vibrate when i touch gently. kinda becoming annoying.

so what aftermarket brakes would u advise on?

p.s are uniparts the official rover ones? if so on ebay they are going for around £25.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are the Unipart vented discs and associated pads worth the extra cash or would you buy elsewhere? They work out at about £80 a set (2x discs and pads).

Mine are for a 214SEi.

--Alan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AlanC said:
Are the Unipart vented discs and associated pads worth the extra cash or would you buy elsewhere? They work out at about £80 a set (2x discs and pads).

Mine are for a 214SEi.

costs around 25-30 pounds on ebay though. without pads....

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I tend to find my local motorfactor is the best source for disks and pads suitable for everyday use

I think i paid around £50 for a set of front discs and pads for a new shape R400

They work perfectly fine for everyday use and easily capable of stopping the car quickly when required. Im sure that they would fade quickly on a trackday, or under real hard performance driving - but a R400 really isnt the sort of car I will be doing that with anyhow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi

I have a spare pair of vented discs for my 218sld in my garage :shh: ,
Make QH, yours for the price of a pint + postage.

SteveN

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
steveN if they will fit my rover 418 gsd i will be very interested mate. p.s dont know if mine are vented or not? what difference does it make anyway???

p.s u can email me on [email protected] steve

cheers!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Senna

From memory your 418GSD (turbo diesel) has the same running gear as my (now dead) 218SLD.

If you take one of the front wheels off and look on the edge of the brake disc
it should look as if there are 2 discs side by side with thin strips of metal between them. this IS a ventilated disc. If it looks solid, one disc then my old ones are of no use to you.

SteveN

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SteveN said:
Senna

From memory your 418GSD (turbo diesel) has the same running gear as my (now dead) 218SLD.

If you take one of the front wheels off and look on the edge of the brake disc
it should look as if there are 2 discs side by side with thin strips of metal between them. this IS a ventilated disc. If it looks solid, one disc then my old ones are of no use to you.

SteveN
going to check mate, but i think i have to discs like u said.
p.s what condition are yours?

cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
From memory they were fitted for only about 5-10,000miles. The original discs had warped a little, so I bought these while I had the originals skimmed then re-fitted.

They do have a little surface rust, nothing serious - I try to post pics.

SteveN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts