MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car a couple months ago and ever since the brakes have squeeled quite badly. They dont even have to be applied and they make a horrible noise!

So anyway I took them off and put some grease on the contact points to try and help and it has done very little. But I did notice the screws that hold the disc in place are not there! So the disc can wobble in between the pads!

So my best guess is it is this causing the squeel. What kind of screw is it? Where can I get some new ones? Anyone got a pic of one?

Cheers

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Many cars are missing those screws because they are made out of chocolate and usually get chewed up.
Clean everything up with brake cleaner. If that doen't solve it then it might be time to invest in new pads and discs.

·
Registered
rover_25
314 Posts
Have the brakes got enough meat on them ?

Brake pads are designed squeal when they are about to reach the end of there service life to give you warning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Many cars are missing those screws because they are made out of chocolate and usually get chewed up.
This reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXJL2hL6kI

Anyway, I would check that the steel shim the one which acts as a spring pushing the pads towards the centre of the disc isn't mis-shaped and rubbing against the disc. I bent mine and had to take the brake apart to bend it back again, as I kept getting a high pitched squeek.

You could remove it entirely but then you might notice a knocking noise as the pads move in the carrier.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copper greased the backs of the pads but this didnt resolve it. The pads have a good 4/5mm left on them. There is not steel shim on the piston to deform.. :( Dont know why this is.. Where would I get some?

Think it might come to just replacing the pads and discs but so short on cash right now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts