MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys out there with the L-series are using BP ultimate, im using it in my 420, i find its a little quieter but im not sure about any performance increases, BP leaflet i have says diesel is standard cetane rating of 51, and they say theirs is at least 55... any body have any opinions? (oh and it costs a bomb, im paying 90.9p per litre)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used it in my L-engined 600 (by mistake - shock at the till!) and did not really notice any difference but I don't drive to the max anyway. I'm more interested in longevity as I want to run it to 200k (141k at present - 2 years to go). I worry that 'hotter' diesel fuels will have poorer lubrication properties for the injector pump. Suspicion only mind you, no evidence to back this up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BP are claiming it increases engine longitvity, suggesting that it's a cleaner fuel... and that it has detergent qualities - cleaning your engine as you use it. Not sure if i wouldbe better of in switching to shell's premium diesel.... if only they had optimax diesel :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
simonbond said:
BP are claiming it increases engine longitvity, suggesting that it's a cleaner fuel... and that it has detergent qualities - cleaning your engine as you use it. Not sure if i wouldbe better of in switching to shell's premium diesel.... if only they had optimax diesel :(
Shell have Shell Extra diesel at the same price as standard diesel, it has cleaning additives etc. I use it in my L series and find the engine is quieter and feels smoother. Haven't noticed any difference in performance and I'd say it uses slightly more fuel if anything.

I don't know of any where near where I am that does BP Ultimate, so I've only used it once, didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Use normal BP/Shell and then add some Millers Power Plus diesel additive to it every tank. This raises the Cetane and, in my experience, makes the engine smoother (especially when cold), a little more MPG (1 or 2) and maybe a bit more poke.

1 bottle costs £6 and will treat about 10-15 tank fulls - much cheaper and better too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is a copy of an e.mail I received from Shell last year.

Thank you for your recent e-mail
Shell Diesel Extra offers the following benefits;
Extra Protection: Shell diesel extra is formulated to protect your engine against the harmful build-up of deposits on the engine's fuel injectors. It also helps to protect your vehicle's fuel system from corrosion.
Extra Performance: Shell diesel extra actively cleans away existing deposits and so helps restore and maintain the performance of your vehicle's engine.
Extra Efficiency: Shell diesel extra is designed to clean your engine's fuel injectors leading to an improved spray pattern and more effective burning of the fuel, thereby reducing emissions and improving fuel economy. It is high in cetane - which can improve combustion - and for many diesel vehicles this leads to smoother running, less noise and easier starting.
All this is available at no extra cost as Shell Diesel Extra is priced in the same competitive way as Shell diesel has been.
It should not be necessary to use additional additives in conjunction with Shell Diesel Extra, however if you do choose to, this will have no detrimental affect to your vehicle.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Beware the additives added to regular fuels to produce Shell Diesel Extra and BP Ultimate quickly evaporate in the underground storage tanks and the tank of your vehicle.

So if you you do fall for the marketing BS and buy the stuff, try to make sure it has just been delivered to the filling station and don't leave it for too long in your car !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Regarding BP ultimate, the colours of the pump and nozzle handle for ultimate diesel and ultimate petrol are very similar.

I filled up my diesel 75 with ultimate petrol! It didn't go well at all. However, the engine survived the experience, in spite of my not noticing until I had ground to a halt in a cloud of smoke and the kind lady from the RAC had asked me to check my receipt.

So although BMW are not a popular company in this forum, I give them credit for building diesel engines that can take the most idiotic abuse.

Since then I have used standard diesel because the black pump is unmistakable.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ti Rich said:
Use normal BP/Shell and then add some Millers Power Plus diesel additive to it every tank. This raises the Cetane and, in my experience, makes the engine smoother (especially when cold), a little more MPG (1 or 2) and maybe a bit more poke.

1 bottle costs £6 and will treat about 10-15 tank fulls - much cheaper and better too.

I second that.
BP Ultimate is a rip off.
Why pay more when Shell Extra or supermarket diesel + Millers is cheaper and better?
I've found that Tesco's derv + Millers is as good as Shell Extra, though they're about the same price up here.
I too accidentally put in BP Ultimate @ 6p / litre more, it didn't seem as good as Shell Extra, and certainly not worth paying more for.

Rix Biodiesel with Millers is also a good combination but its hard to find locally.

Find your Millers stockist here
http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Give it a try - it adds about 1.4p per litre to the cost of the derv but also cleans & lubricates the injectors and pump, reduces smoke, gives smoother quieter running and can give a liitle more power.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
And Another Thing...

To have the "superior cleaning" properties of these 'modern' fuels can't always be a good thing.

Consider: old car, always run on 'ordinary' fuel all of its life, lots of carbon built up around the valves, etc., owner starts filling up with the newer stuff and gradually washes away that build up by doing so, and ends up with a car that burns oil because the carbon "seals" that it once had blocking the gaps has gone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.