MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i recently bought a turbo for 65 including delivery off a rover coupe that had done 80k

when i got it the turbo housing where the wastegate is has cracks around it

i rang the seller and he said that they are all like that and it wont effect performance?!

he offered me a refund but im not sure wether to send it back or not ? as the next one i buy might be the same and i wont get an option to send it back

cheers
john

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
hmm well none of mine have been cracked. Ive heard its not uncommon, but there are plenty out there that are not cracked..

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
hi

i recently bought a turbo for 65 including delivery off a rover coupe that had done 80k

when i got it the turbo housing where the wastegate is has cracks around it

i rang the seller and he said that they are all like that and it wont effect performance?!

he offered me a refund but im not sure wether to send it back or not ? as the next one i buy might be the same and i wont get an option to send it back

cheers
john
Just depends on how bad the crack is. I had one on a Supra turbo, and it was whistling through the crack. A 2nd hand one I sourced had similar cracks and was fine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Cracks around the wastegate are pretty common. As long as they are hairline it won't matter - once the turbo heats up, the metal expands and closes the cracks.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,915 Posts
They are very common indeed. So long as they are small then they can almost be regarded as normal.
Cracks around the wastegate are pretty common. As long as they are hairline it won't matter - once the turbo heats up, the metal expands and closes the cracks.
Agreed .... can't ever remember seeing a used T3 or T25 Garrett Turbocharger
which did not have that hairline crack between the wastegate and turbine housing.

This appears to a case where the saying "They all do that Mate" would almost be justified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts