MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are probably aware ive been having a few issues with fuel pump timing and then a blown ECU. Ive fully re timed the pump and managed to fix the ECU, when I quickly tried it yesderday I had the engine management light on below 1000rpm and it would smoke badly but above this and it was free running and fine. Ive just tryed again this morning and havnt got the light on now but still the idle problem!

I have wound the boost fully up whilst doing the pump so havnt had the engine running since ive done this and if you rev the engine hard she basically dies quickly with alot of smoke and wont restart like the engine is flooded!

Could this be an over boost problem?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
As some of you are probably aware ive been having a few issues with fuel pump timing and then a blown ECU. Ive fully re timed the pump and managed to fix the ECU, when I quickly tried it yesderday I had the engine management light on below 1000rpm and it would smoke badly but above this and it was free running and fine. Ive just tryed again this morning and havnt got the light on now but still the idle problem!

I have wound the boost fully up whilst doing the pump so havnt had the engine running since ive done this and if you rev the engine hard she basically dies quickly with alot of smoke and wont restart like the engine is flooded!

No you will only overboost at over 2500rpm ish on a full throttle, and the ECU will cut the power to prevent sudden damage, with no smoke to speak of. Could another component the ECU be damaged, and are you sure the pump timing is right, i.e. could you explain why you think it it spot on now? Tim

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think it would be overboost but it just feels like it, think its something on the pump as when I pump the priming bulb there a fine hiss of air so when the engines running it will be drawing the air in! just got to find out where its coming from!

·
Registered
419 Posts

take it you dont want the ecu now????

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I didnt think it would be overboost but it just feels like it, think its something on the pump as when I pump the priming bulb there a fine hiss of air so when the engines running it will be drawing the air in! just got to find out where its coming from!

On both my L series cars, the priming bulb goes soft and needs a few pumps to get it solid again. Other people have noticed the same on theirs, and there is no leak on the fuel system on these cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts