MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI im looking at ways to let more air into the engine bay ie, b,vents or louvres. i have been in touch with cool louvers and they can do it £5 ech but i have seen some b,vents on a mgzt 385 & on the xpower 500. dos any one know where i can get these vents from ?.. thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
HI im looking at ways to let more air into the engine bay ie, b,vents or louvres. i have been in touch with cool louvers and they can do it £5 ech but i have seen some b,vents on a mgzt 385 & on the xpower 500. dos any one know where i can get these vents from ?.. thanks

Who are cool louvers? I think Aston Martins long thin style ones would suit a ZT/75 I have been thinking about it too. As for the 385 they only made one production vehicle and it never had the vents off of the prototypes, it was an extra sourced by MG R, possibly from an online accessory shop.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
And what is the logic of trying to get more air into the engine bay, have you got some temperature measuring device in there that says it is getting too hot ? If it is how, hot is it getting and what advantage are you hoping to gain by putting louvres in ?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Those vents are not designed to let in more cold air, they are to let the hot air out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want bonnet vents- I have fitted some to my Track day mini- £5.00 the pair new - they are mini metro ones very neat fitted fine mesh under - look on E bay- used small ss bolts to fix securley

·
Registered
276 Posts
Those vents are not designed to let in more cold air, they are to let the hot air out.
It depends on the posicion of the vents. If they are facing the cockpit, yes they are to let the hot air out, if they are facing the other way around, they woul be for air entrance.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
so you need a research budget to fit vents? :eyes:

adding vents to a car that doesn't need them is pointless. you can add a vent that feeds your air filter with fresh air, but anything else is just a waste of time and could lead to water running on places it's not supposed to be when it rains.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The car´s with big engines (without any intercooler) normaly have air in´s or air out´s. that´s because of the heat that the engine cause. With the Rover´s, we also have that problem.. it´s not a big engine, but get´s very hot when compared to other egines.. I´ve realised that when compared to other petrol engines from my friends..

Ex Tester you could be more helpfull and explain better your knowledge about air flowing and the problem that a air vent (to extract the hot air) can cause.. or are you here just to be arrogant and to be rude?!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
air flow around the engine is meaningless, it's not gonna make the eninge any cooler.

what cools down an engine is the water running inside of it and that's being cooled by the radiator.
so the only place in an engine bay that needs to have some kind of air flow is the radiator and all cars already have air intakes designed for that purpose.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Ex Tester you could be more helpfull and explain better your knowledge about air flowing and the problem that a air vent (to extract the hot air) can cause.. or are you here just to be arrogant and to be rude?!
I could have explained but i would only be argued with so i guess i am here to be arrogant and rude !

The original poster asked about vents to let air in, not out !

As an answer to the question, an air vent alters the airflow under bonnet as does the undertray, ducting around the radiator, how close the fan is to the engine, how close the fan is to the radiator, the fin density of the radiator, condensor and CAC, exits for the air at the rear of the enigne bay, vents in the wheel arch liners etc etc !

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
air flow around the engine is meaningless, it's not gonna make the eninge any cooler.

what cools down an engine is the water running inside of it and that's being cooled by the radiator.
so the only place in an engine bay that needs to have some kind of air flow is the radiator and all cars already have air intakes designed for that purpose.
Air flow wont make the engine any cooler eh ? I guess you dont know very much about cooling systems then.

The hot air that comes out of the radiator has to go somewhere doesn't it ? I will tell you where it goes...................into the engine bay, wether its a "pull fan" or a "push fan" the engine gets smothered in hot air that is extracted from the coolant system via the radiator. What do you think happens at low speed when you have no ram air to cool the radiator? The hot air cant be allowd to sit in the engine bay and get the engine oil too hot, for instance when you are towing a trailer at low speed. Gross train weight uphill is the worst condition for a cooling system on a car. You rely on the radiator fan to cool the cooling system down as you have no ram air available.

Air flow is also needed to cool down other underbonnet components, for intance, the alternator, engine ECU, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo charger etc etc !

Hence the reason to have adequate airflow around the engine bay to let the hot air go somewhere, preferably underneath the car !

Dont tell me airflow is not a major aspect of a cooling system !

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Air flow wont make the engine any cooler eh ? I guess you dont know very much about cooling systems then.

The hot air that comes out of the radiator has to go somewhere doesn't it ? I will tell you where it goes...................into the engine bay, wether its a "pull fan" or a "push fan" the engine gets smothered in hot air that is extracted from the coolant system via the radiator. What do you think happens at low speed when you have no ram air to cool the radiator? The hot air cant be allowd to sit in the engine bay and get the engine oil too hot, for instance when you are towing a trailer at low speed. Gross train weight uphill is the worst condition for a cooling system on a car. You rely on the radiator fan to cool the cooling system down as you have no ram air available.

Air flow is also needed to cool down other underbonnet components, for intance, the alternator, engine ECU, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo charger etc etc !

Hence the reason to have adequate airflow around the engine bay to let the hot air go somewhere, preferably underneath the car !

Dont tell me airflow is not a major aspect of a cooling system !
don't be such a gentleman and read my post again. I said that the radiator is the only part that needs air flow and that it already has the air intakes it needs.

at those temperatures, more air flow or not, it doesn't make any difference to other parts of the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
don't be an * and read my post again. I said that the radiator is the only part that needs air flow and that it already has the air intakes it needs.
You did but your wrong the radiator is not the only part that needs air flow ! Underbonnet air/heat management is just as important as the flow through the radiator !

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
at those temperatures, more air flow or not, it doesn't make any difference to other parts of the engine bay.
Yes it does ! :banghead: Its my job, its what i do !! Hot air has to go somwhere, if it sits in the engine bay the engine and gearbox and other components get hotter than they would had the air not been channelled somewhere else !

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
guess that's why the egines blow up when you drive with the bonnet down :eyes:

oh man, how do the ferrari owners do? with such a big engine stuck in a little compartement with no opening?
ferrari should really hire some cooling engineers!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
guess that's why the egines blow up when you drive with the bonnet down :eyes:

oh man, how do the ferrari owners do? with such a big engine stuck in a little compartement with no opening?
ferrari should really hire some cooling engineers!
Thats exactly the reason they dont blow up when you have the bonnet closed, the air is being shifted out of harms way !

I guess you have never looked at the back or side of a Ferrari and seen all the air inlets and outlets ? Its engine bay aerodynamics !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts