MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone give me info on how to go about doing one of these for my mk3 r200?

Has anyone done it that can tell me how?
Is there a special kit i can buy?
Can i use a boot one from a scrappy?

Cheers

Was using my dads car the other day and now i fancy one of these :D

Chris

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
oh yeh, thats ok. Best thing i've seen, is to drill a 15mm hole in the bonnet structure, next to where the ball joint is going to mount, then find a 15mm rubber plug from somewhere like B&Q and cover it. Looks pro :D
Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G

·
You might want to take a look at a Rover 800 in a scrappy - you could probably utilise those struts (and take measurements from the car they come from, easing the "design work").

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
i have a set of rams from a 600 boot lid, got them for free from the scrappy but i don't have any ball mounts, thought i had some in me garage but i don't :O

think i may invels in some of them astra ones tho, they look worth it :)

anyone got any close up's???

why do you need to drill a hole to get to the back of the top mount???, the ball fittings not self tappers???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey they look really good.. although id love some black ones

in your picture mustang they look like they would have to do alot of work to open up the bonnet considering what angle they are at..

had any problems at all?

how fast does it open, do u just pull the lever inside and it does it?

do u still need to release the catch at the front... (im guessing u do cos it would be unsave otherwise)

how long are they, extended and shut, im gonna go measure up tomorrow :D

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
lol. Why would you want it to pop open when you release the catch anyway? they're just supports :lol:

You want the secondary catch, cause if the bonnet jerks open, the second catch stops it smacking the windscreen and taking out your roof. You'll still have to pull open your bonnet like everyone else.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.