MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyone help. I was just about to change the drive belts and air filter on my 75 cdt tourer and the bonnet release cable snapped. Any ideas on how to release the bonnet?
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THe cable is completely slack at the bonnet release end so I can only assume that it has broken or come out of the slot.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Couple of things to check first. Remove the plastic trim around the lift lever inside the car-the cable does come off the end of the switch and it is straightforward to re-attach it.

If no joy and it has snapped or broken at the join box in the engine bay then all I can suggest is taking it to a garage as there is no easy answer.

Good luck

Mike :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Mike. I will give it a try otherwise it's a trip to the Rover main dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to 7T5 for the tip. I used to be a mechanic in the 60's (Morris 1000's, 105E's etc.) and was already doing the things that you have suggested. I am a Suffolk man and not keen to pay £80 per hour for something I can do myself.
Thanks also to other replies for their suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have got as far as I can without help. I am waiting for my son to arrive home and press down on the bonnet while I pull the cable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
HiMy cable failed in the box under the bonnetIt was fixed under warranty and the mechanic said that they jack it up remove the drivers side wheel and arch liner and get to it from there, takes about 1 hrHope this helpsBarry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Job done! Thanks to all who offered advice on the problem. I will add one tip and that is to remove the screenwash reservoir to get at the cable junction box easier.
Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
This thread illustrates the usefulness of the forum. Having read this (and other threads), I have saved another trip to the dealer, having found that the plastic shoulder had come away from the housing behind the lever in the cabin. A two minute, zero cost fix, rather than a two hour round trip to the dealer ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts