MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my Cadamuro Front Splitter off cause it has seen better days, but now I have Black silicone bodykit glue all over my ZR Front splitter.

What is the best means of getting it off without damaging the paintwork?

I have tried to peel off most of it, which i think is quite fun cause when you get a good grip on it, it just peels off! but its the small bits that are proving tricky.

One idea was to use surgical spirit, but don't know what it would do to the paintwork, cause I use surgical spirit to get drawing board roting ink off the drawing board conti-board.

Any Ideas?!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I recently took my Cadamuro Front Splitter off cause it has seen better days, but now I have Black silicone bodykit glue all over my ZR Front splitter.

What is the best means of getting it off without damaging the paintwork?

I have tried to peel off most of it, which i think is quite fun cause when you get a good grip on it, it just peels off! but its the small bits that are proving tricky.

One idea was to use surgical spirit, but don't know what it would do to the paintwork, cause I use surgical spirit to get drawing board roting ink off the drawing board conti-board.

Any Ideas?!
i dont like the sound of the spirit, sounds like paint stripper!!

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Try using the surgical spirit on a none seen part of paint, if the paint peels, then don't use it!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
if you're handy with a sharp blade you can peel the rest of the glue without scratching the paint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tempted to suggest a sealant remover, the likes of which screwfix sell. But then Ive zero experience using it on paintwork.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried that....

if you're handy with a sharp blade you can peel the rest of the glue without scratching the paint.
Tried that, but turns out I'm a clumsy idiot, slightly scratched the underneath, only one and no bigger than half a millimetre, but that was enough for me to drop that approach.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep.....

Try using the surgical spirit on a none seen part of paint, if the paint peels, then don't use it!!

Cheers
Skelo

Yep, was my initial thought, think I will try that tonight, but was just wondering if there was another option.

·
Registered
547 Posts
another thought, try plastic cleaner, i use it on cleaning plastic window panels when they get ingrain dirt.

get the strong stuff just use it wisely. its very smelly and fumey

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice solutions...

As a thought, will the silicone just rub off under your finger?

Cheers
Skelo
Tried that, 50% came off, but the remaining 50% is being as stubborn as hell! And my finger got sore after a while!

another thought, try plastic cleaner, i use it on cleaning plastic window panels when they get ingrain dirt.

get the strong stuff just use it wisely. its very smelly and fumey
Will definately source some of that, got a few car spray painting masks at home which should combat the fumes! Cheers!

Petrol normally works. Just clean the paintwork after.
Petrol?! Now thats something I hadn't thought of! Sounds nice and simple! Cheers!

plenty of patience and a sharp blade then on to panel wipe - what mess was the splitter in - want rid? :dddc: :p

:bandit:
Well........the front nib in the middle has taken a beating so much that it has cracked all the way around, I'm surprised it has come off. Where the splitter goes from the gap into the flared parts it has cracked completely all the way through on both side, and in the same location underneath it has hit so many speed bumps, ramped tarmac on car park ramps and petrol forecourt entrances it looks like a cheese grater been at it.

I'm currently deciding if to get it repaired and resprayed, but I'm also sizing up a ABS Plastic splitter just to finish off the front.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
depending ont he condition/type of paint on the splitter acitone will work but you would have to be VERY carefull because if it takes a likeing to your paitn it will have it....

failing that as amps said pannel wipe, can be bought from any decent body shop suppliers :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wicked...

depending ont he condition/type of paint on the splitter acitone will work but you would have to be VERY carefull because if it takes a likeing to your paitn it will have it....

failing that as amps said pannel wipe, can be bought from any decent body shop suppliers :D
Acetone, another one I hadn't thought of! Brilliant, the paint work is about 12 months old, 3-4 stone chips, so might be able to get away with it! Cheers for the reply matey! :broon: :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts