MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From PR BBC/Forbes/Etcetera

BMW's quarterly sales have hit a fresh all-time high, helping the German carmaker to record profits. Unveiling its results for the first three months of 2006, BMW said it sold 332,923 cars, up 12% on a year earlier.
Pre-tax profits for the first quarter jumped 58% from the 2005 figure to 1.3bn euros ($1.6bn; £894m).
The performance was ahead of forecasts both with and without the boost from BMW's sale of shares in UK aircraft engine firm Rolls-Royce.
Excluding the 375m euro one-off gain from the Rolls-Royce sale, BMW's profits for the quarter were up 12%.
'Best year'
Looking ahead, BMW raised its profits target for 2006 as a whole.
It now estimates that annual pre-tax profits will reach a record 4bn euros on all-time high sales.
"We are thus heading for the best year in our corporate history," said BMW chairman Helmut Panke.
BMW added that the negative impact of the strong euro and raw material costs would continue to weigh on earnings this year, but to a lesser extent than in 2005.

You got to admire it. The lost money on the RR PLC stake in 2005 witch flatened their 2005 FY profits, but now they gained more.
So I guess it was a fair trade-off.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
4bn profit... should they have no idea what to do with all those money I could offer them my help.

The positive trend for them continues, the BMW US sales rose 13% last month. Sorry to see that Jaguar was down 31%, something went completely wrong.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Atmos said:
4bn profit... should they have no idea what to do with all those money I could offer them my help.

The positive trend for them continues, the BMW US sales rose 13% last month. Sorry to see that Jaguar was down 31%, something went completely wrong.
Yeap. They decided to put this pile of crap into production...

It's just utterly hideous, in fact, I think it's getting progressively uglier every time I see it, that stupid grill, the totally screwed up proportions and the fact it is a blatant photocopy of the original XJ drawings do nothing to help.

Who in the name of God decided to build another retro Jaguar, they would have seen the distressing Rover 75 and Jaguar S-Type sales, and yet decided they would carry on. Worse, they actually decided to make the most advanced saloon car on the planet and then burden it with 1960s' design, tons of chrome and the most hideous grill this side of the S-Type R.

Why has the design department just sat back at Jaguar, pulled out the old William Lyons blueprints and photocopied them again, as they've been doing for every new car since, well, since William Lyons left the company. Heck, even the BL era Jaguars were better than the Ford era retro monstrositys, the XJ-S was brilliantly different and matured into a really gorgeous convertible.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that BMW aren't doing well, they're figures are artificially high, they are mearly suffering good luck on the back of Jaguars misfortune and Land Rovers' lack of a small SUV, looking closely at the sales figures, Land Rover have reported there best monthly sales figures ever, both in Britain and America, and are stealing sales from BMW. They are doing so without the Freelander too, if LR had the Freelander, they would beat BMW sales of SUVs.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nick Birse said:

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that BMW aren't doing well, they're figures are artificially high, they are mearly suffering good luck on the back of Jaguars misfortune and Land Rovers' lack of a small SUV, looking closely at the sales figures, Land Rover have reported there best monthly sales figures ever, both in Britain and America, and are stealing sales from BMW. They are doing so without the Freelander too, if LR had the Freelander, they would beat BMW sales of SUVs.[/QUOTE]

Give credit were credit is due. And remember 200K Minis and Rollers made by excellent British workers. Jaguar Audi Lexus Merc all come and go and still BMW outstrip them. Who can seriously Q the Bangle approach now?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Nick Birse said:

It's just utterly hideous, in fact, I think it's getting progressively uglier every time I see it, that stupid grill, the totally screwed up proportions and the fact it is a blatant photocopy of the original XJ drawings do nothing to help.

Who in the name of God decided to build another retro Jaguar, they would have seen the distressing Rover 75 and Jaguar S-Type sales, and yet decided they would carry on. Worse, they actually decided to make the most advanced saloon car on the planet and then burden it with 1960s' design, tons of chrome and the most hideous grill this side of the S-Type R.

Why has the design department just sat back at Jaguar, pulled out the old William Lyons blueprints and photocopied them again, as they've been doing for every new car since, well, since William Lyons left the company. Heck, even the BL era Jaguars were better than the Ford era retro monstrositys, the XJ-S was brilliantly different and matured into a really gorgeous convertible.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that BMW aren't doing well, they're figures are artificially high, they are mearly suffering good luck on the back of Jaguars misfortune and Land Rovers' lack of a small SUV, looking closely at the sales figures, Land Rover have reported there best monthly sales figures ever, both in Britain and America, and are stealing sales from BMW. They are doing so without the Freelander too, if LR had the Freelander, they would beat BMW sales of SUVs.
I agree and in the last few months, with some well thought out posts from some users of this site have come to the same conclusion. I thought the 75 was the best thing since sliced bread and was a stunning looking car, winning awards, etc, etc. However, to a lot of punters, it was simply another Rover harking back to a by gone day and compounded the negative stereotypes people had developed towards Rover as a brand.

As you say, the R75 should not have gone retro either and should have been an up to date, forward thinking design, Jaguar are just stupid to make this mistake years later.

I do not really like the Bangle designs, but they are growing on me.. especially the E60 (5 series) .. I am sure I am also not alone in that when you see the previous gen 3 and 5 compared to the new ones, they look somehow "old". As do the Audi and Merc offerings. . .

So I guess, they may shape BMW styling and take the company forwards, a step ahead of the competition and history may judge them and the underlying strategy a ballsy success.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Atmos said:
To be honest I fail to see that ;)
me too....what i do see though is this forums hate for bmw and the fact people feel like they need to be put them down all the time!

i think the figures speak volumes 4billion cant be bad

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
xerif said:
Who can seriously Q the Bangle approach now?
WHAT?????????????????????

Are you honestly saying that clumsy, misproportioned styling lumps like the 7, 6, Z4, and 3 are the reason behind their success? My God, an early 7 series on standard wheels, what a bizarre joke!

Actually, you may be in part absolutely right, although it says nothing for the taste of the buying public. Kings New Clothes is a pretty good description I've seen bandied about on here.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Nick Birse said:
Who in the name of God decided to build another retro Jaguar.....they actually decided to make the most advanced saloon car on the planet and then burden it with 1960s' design, tons of chrome and the most hideous grill this side of the S-Type R.

Why has the design department just sat back at Jaguar, pulled out the old William Lyons blueprints and photocopied them again, as they've been doing for every new car since, well, since William Lyons left the company.
Old story Nick. Man builds successful company, man retires, successive new owners try and change the direction as they think they know better, company goes nowhere. Sir William always looked forward, never brought out something that rested on past laurels. You really would think that some people would have taken 5 minutes to think about why the company got to where it was in 1968 with the launch of what was easily the best saloon for the following ten years, and then considered the best route from there. It's rather obvious. But no. We now have another XJ6 copy, a flat and *******ised E-type/AM pastiche from the man who only has one design in his head anyway and a management team who - Mike Cross aside - is running out of any ideas what to do except serve up more of this rubbish.

When Sir William was questioned why he had decided to merge Jaguar with BMH back in the Sixties, he gave a half-joking reply.

"Well, it keeps it all away from the Americans."

Nick Birse said:
Heck, even the BL era Jaguars were better than the Ford era retro monstrositys, the XJ-S was brilliantly different and matured into a really gorgeous convertible.
(just a minor correction - this was a Malcolm Sayer design, as was the E-Type, and had a very long gestation period which commenced pre-BL iirc)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
V8King said:
WHAT?????????????????????

Are you honestly saying that clumsy, misproportioned styling lumps like the 7, 6, Z4, and 3 are the reason behind their success? My God, an early 7 series on standard wheels, what a bizarre joke!

Actually, you may be in part absolutely right, although it says nothing for the taste of the buying public. Kings New Clothes is a pretty good description I've seen bandied about on here.
I agree, the Z4 is easily the most ugly two seater on the market, the 3-Series looks tacky and the 5-Series looks stupid with those 'runny' front lights; just really horrendous to look at and Bangle should be shot.

This is before I begin yet another rant into the 1-Series, X3 and 6-Series.

I can remember hearing the BMW Appreciation Society... Sorry, Fifth Gear refering to the 1-Series as "beautiful" and nominating it for their car of the year! Madness!

I agree with the Jag comments as well, retro is simply not the way to go and it is the same style of pig-headed BL-style incompetance by the management that is making the same mistake over and over. But all being well, the XK marks the beginning of the end of the retro Jag, and it couldn't come a moment too soon...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Liam Olf said:
I agree, the Z4 is easily the most ugly two seater on the market, the 3-Series looks tacky and the 5-Series looks stupid with those 'runny' front lights; just really horrendous to look at and Bangle should be shot.

This is before I begin yet another rant into the 1-Series, X3 and 6-Series.
Well you can't satisfy every one, just about over 1 million customers a year.

I can remember hearing the BMW Appreciation Society... Sorry, Fifth Gear refering to the 1-Series as "beautiful" and nominating it for their car of the year! Madness!
Really waiting for the 135i 3 door with ZSG.
Good contender.

I agree with the Jag comments as well, retro is simply not the way to go and it is the same style of pig-headed BL-style incompetance by the management that is making the same mistake over and over. But all being well, the XK marks the beginning of the end of the retro Jag, and it couldn't come a moment too soon...
For some it works, I think just design isn't the only culprit for Jag's problems.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
DarkOne said:
Well you can't satisfy every one, just about over 1 million customers a year.
Does that include the 60% of badge snobs who actually bought such dross through mere desperation to be seen with the blue and white propellor and kidney grille on the front or not?

I can't see how any person can have time for such cars the 1-Series and X3... They're awful.

·
Banned
3,933 Posts
Liam Olf said:
Does that include the 60% of badge snobs who actually bought such dross through mere desperation to be seen with the blue and white propellor and kidney grille on the front or not?

I can't see how any person can have time for such cars the 1-Series and X3... They're awful.
Ah, the random and made up on the spot statistics trick, an oldy but a goody.

'Could this be an indiction of a possible case of BMW/Lotus platform sharing for the new Esprit? I suppose it wouldn't do the brand or the car much harm, anything associated with BMW has to be good...'

Make your mind up son!

·
Registered
113 Posts
deelunn said:
me too....what i do see though is this forums hate for bmw and the fact people feel like they need to be put them down all the time!

i think the figures speak volumes 4billion cant be bad
This is called jealousy mate:shake:

·
Registered
113 Posts
BMW is a great manufacturer, their cars are well built, drive well, look good too. What else do you want?

Whatever you might think BMW is a successful brand with a very strong image, period!

·
Registered
274 Posts
*^(*^(cks is it jealousy. The British public would buy a wheelie bin if it had a BMW badge on it and are happy to pay a fortune for a 1 series hatch just because of the badge. The truth is the 6 cylinder ones are good but the 4 cylinder ones are not and no amount of rwd or alleged perfect balance can make up for lack of power. Base spec BMWs are bought by people to impress their neighbours. I would NOT swap my ZS180 for a 318, or a 320, or even a 325 and I couldn't give a toss what the neighbours think of my car choice.

The last generation BMWs looked good, purposeful but the new ones are hideous.

I'm minded of a car sticker I saw recently that said something like "I'm spending money I don't have on things I don't want to impress people I don't like." I don't and have never bought into the keeping up with the Joneses rubbish.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
sheefag said:
'Could this be an indiction of a possible case of BMW/Lotus platform sharing for the new Esprit? I suppose it wouldn't do the brand or the car much harm, anything associated with BMW has to be good...'

Make your mind up son!
I think sarcasm is wasted on the people from tut' Street of Shame... :eyes:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts