MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW: Sales fall 1.9% in March

Automotive News / April 10, 2007 - 4:00 am

FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- BMW, the world's largest premium carmaker, reiterated on Tuesday it expects new models to boost sales in coming months, after global sales dropped in March.

New models, including a convertible and more versions of its Mini brand, will help the German carmaker increase car sales by a "higher" one-digit percentage amount this year, BMW said in a statement, repeating its previous target.

In March, sales at its three brands, BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce, slipped 1.9 percent from a year earlier to 141,568 units.

Rolls-Royce was the only brand to post an increase in unit sales, of 6.4 percent, while BMW reported a 2 percent decline and Mini a 1.5 percent fall.
SOURCE: Automotive News

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a little strange considering that BMW and MINI have had a raft of new models out, like the new 3 Series Coupe, and new MINI.

Maybe people are waiting for the facelifted 5 and 1 Series, and the 3 Series Convertible.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
People must not feel as confident about future economic prospects as they once did.

A BMW is a premium product, which would usually be driven by the wealthy and people who could really afford them. However, in recent years with the advent of cheap credit and mortgage equity withdrawl, they have reaped the rewards.

The UK is one of their biggest markets and new car sales here are slowing as people tighten their belts. Stands to reason that premium marks should be the most affected as the artificial demand is withdrawn.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
"Brad Pitt" then why is Audi doing so well ?!
I hope you don't think Britain = the whole world.

Any way back on topic for comparison:

March 2007 (core brands only):

Audi: 103,000 (+10%) ... YTD 248,000 vehicles (+9.4%)

Mercedes: 122,900 (-2.0%) ... YTD 274,400 vehicles (+3.0%)

BMW: 120,077 (-2.0%) ... YTD 286,175 vehicles (+1.0%)

MB & BMW sales were low due severe model changing (C by MB; 5er, 1er & X5 by BMW), and that we could expect much better monthly sales / increases by BMW & MB in the following months.

Mind that new W204 MB C-class (most important MB model sales wise) has just started sales in late March.

Also: facelifted 5er & 1er (2nd & 3rd most important BMW models sales wise) went on sales in the end of March, and E70 X5 (4th most important model sales wise) was launched in Europe & RoW in late March / early April.

Audi's growth index is still riding on Q7 introduction (late march 2006), and this contribution will fade away in the next months. So, A5 will have to kick in a lot to drive such sales increase on.

So volume will pick up.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
"Brad Pitt" then why is Audi doing so well ?!
I hope you don't think Britain = the whole world.

Any way back on topic for comparison:

March 2007 (core brands only):

Audi: 103,000 (+10%) ... YTD 248,000 vehicles (+9.4%)

Mercedes: 122,900 (-2.0%) ... YTD 274,400 vehicles (+3.0%)

BMW: 120,077 (-2.0%) ... YTD 286,175 vehicles (+1.0%)

MB & BMW sales were low due severe model changing (C by MB; 5er, 1er & X5 by BMW), and that we could expect much better monthly sales / increases by BMW & MB in the following months.

Mind that new W204 MB C-class (most important MB model sales wise) has just started sales in late March.

Also: facelifted 5er & 1er (2nd & 3rd most important BMW models sales wise) went on sales in the end of March, and E70 X5 (4th most important model sales wise) was launched in Europe & RoW in late March / early April.

Audi's growth index is still riding on Q7 introduction (late march 2006), and this contribution will fade away in the next months. So, A5 will have to kick in a lot to drive such sales increase on.

So volume will pick up.
OK, maybe the designer brand brigade are Beemer'd out then. About time if so.

I would say they are all likely to see falling sales in the important US market in the next few years as the credit gets tightened.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
OK, maybe the designer brand brigade are Beemer'd out then. About time if so.
I should say so.

If BMW would like me to put my hard earned down on one of their cars they are going to have to do something serious about their image.

New BMWs scream brash, thrusting and vulgar in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I should say so.

If BMW would like me to put my hard earned down on one of their cars they are going to have to do something serious about their image.

In other words they are perfectly attuned to the age of reality TV, Simon X Factor and that bully Sugar. It's the age we live in. I'd read nothing into one months sales. Its 12 months before there's a trend.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
I should say so.

liam i mean no offence by this post, but what do you do? its just i cant imagine many 19 olds being able to afford a brand new beemer, or the running costs involved in them?

now im being totally stereotypical and i must appologise for it, and you could be a millionaire for all i know. But i cant imagine you being their primary target market...going by the list of cars you have owned

i do think bmw are making alot of effort with regards to their image though. they know they have the burberry effect but they are certainly trying to fix it. and given the number of brand new bmws i see on my estate, and their ytd figures they seem to be doing quite well with it

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
In other words they are perfectly attuned to the age of reality TV, Simon X Factor and that bully Sugar. It's the age we live in. I'd read nothing into one months sales. Its 12 months before there's a trend.
Heh. Nice 1.

The X5 typifies this to be honest. Have a look on Autotrader at the amount of X5's with daft 21 inch wheels parked outside small houses on rough estates.

Other Europeans laugh at us. Only here do you get morons totally overextending themselves to buy such expensive cars.

Go to Germany and you don't see half the amount of X5's as you do here, even in affluent areas where they could actually afford them.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
BMW are no longer a prestige brand in the UK, rather now a mainstream brand.

It would be nice to see them fall from grace but they probably won't as this country is full of ******s

·
Registered
mg_zt
494 Posts
I can't wait for BMW to slip up. Without the MINI they would now be a takeover target. MINI postponed that day. Hopefully this brings the day Triumph comes back from the dead under different ownership or due to desperation on the part of BMW.

S

·
0 Posts
The X5 typifies this to be honest. Have a look on Autotrader at the amount of X5's with daft 21 inch wheels parked outside small houses on rough estates.

Other Europeans laugh at us. Only here do you get morons totally overextending themselves to buy such expensive cars.

Go to Germany and you don't see half the amount of X5's as you do here, even in affluent areas where they could actually afford them.
It is all about image in this country, same goes to why so many young girls driving around in a Mini CooperS.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I can't wait for BMW to slip up. Without the MINI they would now be a takeover target. MINI postponed that day. Hopefully this brings the day Triumph comes back from the dead under different ownership or due to desperation on the part of BMW.

How's that exactly ?!

Since:
a) BMW cars make most of the sales, revenues, profits, free cash flow, (positive) ROI, while MINI doesn't. BMW slipped 2.0 and MINI 1.5 simply because of the model changes.

b) the Quandt family controls most of BMW stock (and decision making) and along with other close important share-holders make BMW virtually imposible to be taken over (not that the company is cheap anyway).

c) desperation, when they say they'll have another record year ?!

Honestly some people should:
a) remeber that, they have a brain more developed than any other earthly being
b) use it, not post flame non-sense

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
i do think bmw are making alot of effort with regards to their image though. they know they have the burberry effect but they are certainly trying to fix it. and given the number of brand new bmws i see on my estate
No offence intended by this post, you could be living in sandringham estate for all i know, but surely BMW's being driven by people in estates...

:dddc:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it.
All 3 have said they'll have record sales this year.

Watch the news mate America still excerts a certain financial power which domino's around the world and they are in near stagnant growth, the wages and taxation band is widening, the eccononmic down turn, GDP falling, the banks putting up interest charges, on a country funded by credit, uncertainty with their own big 3 automakers, which could result in hundreds of thousands of job cuts which when heavily funded by the big American banks could almost cause meltdown. My friends in California tell me everyone is fed up with cost of gasoline rising so much in the last few years, and the cost of living gowing up ect. If America is effected that goes all around the world, next stop Europe. So Brad Pitt may well be right, what you see here, you will probably see everywhere.

Plus what built BMW in the 80's was exclusivity, now anyone can release equity from their house, get car credit, PCP's, contract hire and lease purchase ect. I would guess pretty much anyone who want's a BMW has one, for god sake a Mondeo is more exclusive than a 3 series! I am not saying BMW will go bust or get bought out, the family will fight both scenarios tooth and nail, but in a decline? Yes.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts