MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy the other day who works at Bmw oxford and he has told me that Bmw still owns the MG Brand name and rights, and is only leased to MG Rover to use.

Is this correct.??

It all sounds abit far fetched to me. but could he be right.??

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
They own the Rover brand and have licensed it to MG Rover Group Limited. MG Rover Group Limited however own the MG brand outright.

Regards

John

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
PaulW said:
Not that I have ever heard. They kept Rover because of confusion with Land Rover, especially in the USA.

I would say B*W will get diddly Squat. Other than the fact they owned the company 5 yrs ago they are out of the loop I feel. MG-R owns the MG name, and as far as the Rover name goes it is licensed (via B*W) to MG-R until 2007-8?? However we don't know if behind the scenes whether or not PVH has somehow assumed control of the Rover name from B*W in order to License it's use by SAIC in China. Like I said I don't know, and I suspect very few people outside of SAIC MG-R/PVH and B*W know for sure. We will just have to wait and see.

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
This IS THE question.....Who owns the name. I would be shocked to find BMW sold MG for a £10.00 !!!!!!!
Far more likely that If MG goes belly up the Badge goes back to BMW!

Time will tell.
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Mike... it doesn't go anywhere near B*W. The MG name and badge belongs to MG Rover Group Limited in its entirety. And that is fact.

John

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Mega said:
This IS THE question.....Who owns the name. I would be shocked to find BMW sold MG for a £10.00 !!!!!!!
Far more likely that If MG goes belly up the Badge goes back to BMW!

Time will tell.
Cheers
Mike

Yes time will tell, but MG is owned by MG-R.... NOT B*W. Why is that so hard to grasp??

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Seems like all of the media do as they are reporting that the MG name is MGR owned and not BMW.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Strange that JayCee. I think because BMW wear glad to get rid of Rover to keep the investors happy they could not be bothered to send in the paperwork to change the details. But it is legally owned by PVH now.

·
Registered
881 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts