MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW M1 reborn as the new tii!

The M series cars are now a staple of the BMW lineup, representing the high-performance iterations of several of the "mainstream" models. However, back in 1978 before the M3 or M5 or M6 were ever conceived, BMW had a desire to compete against the Porsche 911 that was dominating endurance racing in the FIA Group 4 and Group 5 categories. Thus the original M1 was born as a mid-engine sports car with a Giugiaro designed body and a twin-cam inline-6 that eventually found it's way into the first generation M5/M6.

The original M1 is largely forgotten today, but the badge may be set for a revival on a car that is more of a modern descendant of the car that created BMW's sports-sedan reputation. The new 1-series coupe-based M1 is expected to take up the mantle of the original 2002tii that pre-dates even the mighty M1. Coupe and convertible M1s may appear in the second half of 2008 with hand-me down motivation from an updated 3.2L six from the last generation M3. The little coupe with the big six could hit 62mph from a standstill in 5.2seconds.

Since BMW seems to be increasingly keen on turbocharging of late, a pressurized direct injected four cylinder with E85 capability might make a more efficient, cost effective and better performing alternative to the old M3 mill.
SOURCE: Car Magazine

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
It may be a photoshop and most likely not particularly accurate but that is the most disgusting car I have ever seen.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't look good, does it?

But hey, it doesn't need to. Some mugs will buy it in droves.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I won't look quite like that. Remeber it's a CGI.

Anyway, I find the use of the M1 moniker as blasphemy.

Other than that this car is poised for greatness.
E30 M3 (or 2002 Tii Alpina) RELOADED. The enthusiasts will love it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It doesn't look good, does it?

But hey, it doesn't need to. Some mugs will buy it in droves.
It looks really strange. You know cars which just don't look right ,well ,that kinda reminds me of the Vauxhall Nova saloon ,or that Chinese version of the Maestro with the Monty front end . The car even looks ill at ease with itself ,as if it's embarrased with it's appearance.

Must admit I think the alloys look t'riffic ,pity about the pile of poo that's been crapped down on top of them.

Of course ,it will become the must have fashion accessory for every 'social climber' around.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I'd like to know how far off/ on sales targets the BMW 1 series is. A friend of mine just trade his 3 year old MINI in for a brand new 1 series demonstrator diesel. Apparantly he went in to buy a MINI but the dealer knocked a lot of the price of the 1 series. The dealer was almost begging him to take it by the sound of it.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to know how far off/ on sales targets the BMW 1 series is. A friend of mine just trade his 3 year old MINI in for a brand new 1 series demonstrator diesel. Apparantly he went in to buy a MINI but the dealer knocked a lot of the price of the 1 series. The dealer was almost begging him to take it by the sound of it.
Probably because the facelifted 1 Series is in the showroom now - they probably wanted to get rid of old stock, so they could register their new demonstrators for the new 1 Series.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yes, and I can't wait for the 2.0 litre VTT diesel with 204 HP and 400 Nm (maybe with the new ZSG/SMG IV transmission; BTW ZSG/SMG IV = SMG + DSG acording to my sources).

As for the M1 (horrible name, I know) Huckfeldt isn't too far off acording to my sources.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
As opposed to what "beautifull" Rover car ?! :rofl:
The Rover 75 maybe? Voted 'Most Beautiful Car In the World' in 1998 by the Italians IIRC who certainly know a thing or two about beautiful cars.
Especially compared to the Germans if the monster above is anything to go by ;)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The Rover 75 maybe? Voted 'Most Beautiful Car In the World' in 1998 by the Italians IIRC who certainly know a thing or two about beautiful cars.
Especially compared to the Germans if the monster above is anything to go by ;)

But the same italians voted the Q7 as the most beautifull SUV (as opposed to a RR SS). :errx2:

BTW, I actually liked the MG version better.

Besides, italians also took their Coda Troncas (think AM DB4 Zagato) from a german (from Dr. W. Kamm). :whistle:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Yup, the Italians, the people responsible for the Fiat Stilo and those horrible cheapo Lancias that nobody wants to buy!
1998 was a lifetime ago (in automotive design terms) and it was a questionable judgement then.

IMHO (for what it's worth) the 1 series is a good car and the used values back this up - I would have to add that the styling has never been it's strongest point but at least it is an original design, not a retro hotchpotch like the75/ZT.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
IMHO (for what it's worth) the 1 series is a good car and the used values back this up - I would have to add that the styling has never been it's strongest point but at least it is an original design, not a retro hotchpotch like the75/ZT.
Well I think I'd prefer my ZT to a 1 series. The 1 is a hideous little thing ,driven by estate agents and other such pretentious 'social climbers'.

It's an Astra sized hatch ,some models of which cost the same or more than a Disco 3.

Did I mention it's hideous?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well I think I'd prefer my ZT to a 1 series. The 1 is a hideous little thing ,driven by estate agents and other such pretentious 'social climbers'.

It's an Astra sized hatch ,some models of which cost the same or more than a Disco 3.

Did I mention it's hideous?
I suppose I should feel insulted, I'm not an estate agent and I do not consider myself to be "a pretentious social climber".
I do however drive a 120D and I can assure you that it a great little car.
BTW my wife owns an Astra sport hatch 150CDTI which is an amazing car and is considerably more roomy than a 1 series.

Finally, as we're into insults, I can see why you refer to your ZTT 120 as a hearse - does it actually move at all?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Finally, as we're into insults, I can see why you refer to your ZTT 120 as a hearse - does it actually move at all?
Hearses do generally move.

It's the folk lying in the back of them who don't.

EDIT- and if you're so proud to drive a beemer 1 series why not say that instead of 'other manufacturer'.

I listed Freelander when I had a 'other manufacturer'.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It never fails to amaze me that people who dislike MG Rovers frequent an MG-Rover enthusiasts forum.... how bizarre. I don't particularly like modern BMWs, but I don't make a habit of becoming a member of BMW forums to voice my dislike. Oh well, whatever pleases you I guess. The 1-series is a pig ugly car, and there's noone I personally know who disagrees.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts