MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car had it's annual service and MOT yesterday including oil/filter change, fuel filter and air filter.

My local Vauxhall dealer carried out the work for £143 however they were unable to source the standard fuel filter and air filter therefore they contacted Williams BMW (Warrington) who informed them that the fuel and air filter used on the current BMW 535D could also be used.

I haven't checked the air filter but the fuel filter definately looks different to the usual item.

Everything seems to be running fine, should I be worried ?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Are we talking about a diesel here! (as in you have a diesel!?)

I seriously doubt the fuel filter will match! In addition, the 535D is a twin turbo unit, so that is also highly unlikely that the air filter (which is conical on the 535D) will match.

If you have a petrol lump, then no chance in hell to any of the above fitting. If you have a 2.0l Diesel, then the only parts (well air filter wise) that will fit are from the BMW M47 engine (air filter and oil filter), not sure about fuel, its highly possible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It is likely that the filter element is the same across the BMW range (although I don't know that for sure). If the filter housing is the same type and size, then I suspect that the filter element is the same. The BMW Mini has exactly the same housing as the M47R, so I suspect the same element will be used on all cars with this type of housing.

Other manufacturers (Volvo for example) use the same filter element for all cars regardless of size and type. I suspect this is for ease of parts management.

You would have to check the part number to be sure. I have a BMW type oil and fuel filter for my 75 CDT in the garage, which although in an MGR box is marked BMW on the actual component. I can get the part number of the filter when I return home tonight if that will help.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thats not quite correct i'm afraid. The 535d incorporates two elements (being twin turbo), so its definately not going to fit!

Secondly the air filters between the BMW 2l and 3l (M47 and M57) lumps is totally different, so they are not the same across the range!

In addition, we still dont know if we are dealing with a diesel 75 yet!!

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Yes David has a diesel. I am confident not even a Vauxhall dealer would say a BMW filter would go into a K series :lol:

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked with Williams BMW today and they have confirmed that the air filters are the same across most of the BMW diesel engines.

However the fuel filter they sold to the Vauxhall dealer for my car was in fact the type used in the BMW 330d which is different to the usual type specified for the M47R but can still be used if necessary.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have no idea regarding air filters for diesels.

But a fuel flter, is a fuel filter. Assuming the overall dimensions will allow it to fit in the retaining clamp/space provided, and the connectors are compatible, it will be fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have sat in the garage an air filter for my 75 (which is absolutely identical to a 320d of the same year) and a 2000 BMW 530d, they are both cylindrical but the 530d is longer and slightly wider....

So if he is going to supply you with a BMW air filter make sure it will fit a 320d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts